Monday 15 September 2003

People that come together

Yes, I do need to update more. However, I did say it before -- if you don't leave me any feedback I assume you haven't read what I wrote, and put off updating so you won't miss anything. I write, you feedback, I write more.

Except that I spend all day writing, more or less. And yeah, this is different, because I'm not presented with a press release of what I should say that I need to re-word, edit for irrelevant parts and rearrange so that it is in some kind of order of priority. I wonder how much harder this kind of thing would be without a computer, when you can't just cut, paste and move parts?

What I like about my job, or one of the things, is when people are genuinely grateful to me. I didn't really get that tending bar, even if it wasn't that different. But now, when i call someone up because the news editor has told me to book a picture assignment, and I explain to them that I'm calling from the newspaper and I'd like to send a photographer to their whatever-it-is that's happening, they so often sound really grateful. Or when I tell them I'm doing a follow-up piece on how the mad hatter's tea party in aid of Leukaemina research went.

It's an odd kind of gratitude. It isn't that you are giving them something exactly, not like I call them up and say hi, here's a donation or just a cheque for you. I'm having trouble finding a comparison, but these people so often just sound really pleased.

The job's good. It would be better if it was paid and not work experience, but I like the work. This is what I want to be doing. I do news during the day, and in my spare time I do creative stuff for the features editor -- like review bands. The only trouble is, yeah, I'm not getting paid, and now I have to pay £3k to the university to train me to do this job in a year's time.

All the same, if I can avoid the editor (news editors = good, editors = evil) the job's pretty good, and yeah, this is what I want to be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment