Thursday 18 October 2007

Day 1

Before I go any further, I want to make one thing clear -- as much for myself, as for the benefit of anyone else. Working in a bookshop, and probably in retail generally, is never going to be a career for me, for a variety of reasons.

However, day one went well.

As first days tend to go, there was a lot to take it. Most of it being where all the different book sections are, how they are arranged, and how to work the tills/look to see if a book is in stock.

I remember today why I enjoyed being a bar tender -- although I can be shy as a person, I am also very personable, and I can do customer service well. I liked being able to be myself in work today. Also, obviously, I like books -- and like working with people who like books. In the pub I worked with people who admitted to never having read a book, ever.

It sucks that the pay is quite poor, and that I only work 30 hours a week -- but the short days and a far shorter commute (since I'm not going into London now) also have their good points. For now, it's just a job I can do and prove to myself a few things until the new year, when I can again start looking at office jobs in the big city -- and if I might ever be able to afford to work in another country instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment