Thursday 3 July 2008

Adventures in car maintenance

One night, a couple of weeks ago, I got a puncture coming home from work.
It was a sunny evening, and I'd opted to take the scenic route -- winding country roads, with fields running along either side.
And the occasional tw*t in a BMW that would come flying round the corner, not expecting to see anyone coming the other way. I pulled almost all the way over to one side, and that was when I must have run over something.
At first, I was concerned by the odd noise my car was making.. I expect the tyre at this point still had enough pressure to be handling normally, and I really should have checked it out when I got home, but the noise soon stopped I thought little more about it.

Until the next day.

Driving to work I noticed a couple of times the handling wasn't normal, and resolved to look at it this time, since I hadn't thought to before I left for work.
Once I arrived at the office, I took a quick look at the tyre and was sure it looked flatter than it should. What next? I wasn't sure. As part of learning to drive a few years back I had to learn how to change a tyre, it's straight forward enough -- jack up car, loosen wheel nuts, remove wheel, replace wheel, tighten wheel nuts and you're done. But I was also advised it's usually better to get a breakdown repair service to change it for you, and you'd be lucky to be able to remove the wheel nuts on your own.

I called my breakdown service for the first time ever and they agreed to come out in less than an hour, and true to their word they did. The wheel changed to the spare, off the guy went again -- but my own adventures were just beginning. The wheel he removed was completely hosed, possibly as a result from driving to work partially deflated and then driving it out to the breakdown truck when it was completely flat, but I got it replaced pretty cheaply so after something like a week of driving round on the spare, I figured I should really get the spare off and this new wheel on.

As I said before, it's very straight forward to change a tyre -- so without even bothering to get changed out of my shirt and tie I set to work. I got the jack out of its secret compartment in the boot, then sat on the drive trying to work out how to transform it into a robot. Or something other than the solid lump it appeared to be. I eventually found how it opened and turned into a jack, and got the car raised without too much trouble -- although I did wonder if it was safe on a gravel driveway.

With the car in the air, I set to undoing the wheel nuts. I then found it was probably a better idea to have done this before jacking up the car, since the wheel kept spinning. So down it came again. I must have been out there for an hour, stamping on the tyre iron, trying to stand on the thing, everything I could, trying to get even the first wheel nut to move. Nothing. Eventually I had to admit defeat and that I was not a real man.

A couple of days later at work it occurs to me that working in a bus depot where they are constantly doing maintenance works on vehicles I was in an ideal place to either enlist someone's help, or at least borrow a piece of equipment better than my Fisher Price car maintenance kit. It was getting towards the end of the day, so I found the depot manager who referred me to a passing engineer -- and he in turn took me to his van, where he gave me a much better and extendible tyre iron.

This time there was no delay in working out the jack, and raising the car -- and with the new tool and a bit of elbow grease, the wheel nuts came off without a problem. I didn't even mind that I was crouched in the car park, in the rain, and getting oil on my white shirt. What I couldn't understand, though, is why with all the wheel nuts undone I still couldn't get the wheel off. No amount of pulling it would budge the wheel, and I considered myself once again a failure as a man.

Back on went the wheel nuts -- although I had the foresight to only tighten them with my shitty tyre iron so as to be able to undo them later. As a brief aside, it occurs to me this must seem very homoerotic -- lots of talk of nuts and extendible tools and heaving and pulling. But I found the engineer after a brief search, returned to him his tool, and he asked if I'd been successful. Removing the wheel nuts? Absolutely. After that? Nothing. Simple, he told me, go get a hammer and give the wheel a whack with it.

I couldn't find a hammer in the storeroom he pointed me to -- and was very aware I really shouldn't have been down there, poking around in storerooms, helping myself, so didn't want to linger. On my way back to the car, though, I saw a toolbox open on the side with a hammer on the top -- so I swiped it and took it back to the car. Once again, off came the wheel nuts and, annoyed that it was taking so long, I gave the tyre a kick.

No need the hammer, then, as the wheel came right off. Having got the cart before the horse, I quickly jacked up the car and took the spare wheel off. From there it was finally as easy as it should be -- get the new wheel on, tighten the wheel nuts, lower car, and you're done. All that was left then was to surreptitiously return the hammer to the random toolbox I'd found, and go home.

I think we can probably write off "motor mechanic" from the list of possible career options for me, even if I did eventually get the wheel changed on my own, I think I get a D Minus in being a man.

10 comments:

  1. Given that you did eventually get the tire changed, I'd say that warrants a passing grade. I give you a C in masculinity, and an A in giving Freudians a field day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You missed the bit about how one of the shirts you wore was actually your dad's.

    I do like a man who can admit his shortcomings... you're so hot right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two things: you're very preoccupied with "being a real man" or what you think constitutes that. Also, no, removing a tyre never struck me as homoerotic. Interesting that you thought so, though. *takes Freudian hat off*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I give a C+ in 'being a man'. There are a lot of men out there who wouldn't have even made it as far as you did. My husband being one!
    But it's got me wondering about all the homoerotic stuff and how I know I would get an A in tyre changing. Which makes me more man than you, and able to handle myself well around 'extendable tools' and being good with 'nuts' and all the required heaving and pulling. What does it all mean?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you get a D- in being a man, I don't know what my friends Greg and Chris would get.

    In High School Greg got a flat the same day I did. While I went right to work, Greg (with the help of Chris) failed to find the jack - in that little hidden part of the trunk. I walked over and showed them where it was.

    Greg and Chris together couldn't figure out what to do next. Not only that, they didn't know what to do period. And they couldn't open the jack.

    With my spare already out and on my car, I waited, watching them. Finally they came over in defeat and asked if I could change their tire. It was priceless.

    Even better, the only lesson I got in changing a flat was from my father back when I was five years old.

    I give Greg and Chris Fs at being a man. You? I'd give a B- because you knew what to do, but just had problems.

    PS: Kicking the tire always helps, whether it's flat and you're removing it or you've had a bad day and need to kick something =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may be one of those male/female things, but I know exactly where you're coming from on 'being a man'. I tick the stereotypical 'sport' box, but have absolutely no interest in cars whatsoever - and I can't drive. If ever a conversation turns to cars, or even 'the best way to get to place x', I'm totally sunk. (I'm also the anti-guru of DIY, my sole skill being the ability to paint ceilings without the need for a chair.)

    I'm never quite sure whether this failure to engage with and/or contribute to the real world feels worse to me because of my XY status, but it's certainly there in the back of my mind.

    Anyway, in my book you get an A+ for even knowing about any of the above.

    ReplyDelete
  7. pish. I know you know better then to judge yourself on some man scale. 'sides I would give you an A for knowing what to do and doing it. Not your fault the car was uncooperative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh pish posh! The fact that you actually got it done makes you about a kazillion times better than the 'all talk and no action' "so called real men" that I know :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane: I'll take passing grades where I can find them, yay for the Freudian "A"!

    Amanda: I have lots more shortcomings I can admit to :D I'm apathetic and unable to get down the gym! I can't park, and don't drive very well! I have no sense of direction! I'm also a sook a lot of the time -- still hot?

    Dune: Yep, I guess we all have preoccupations of one kind or another. That's just one of mine. And it wasn't the removing the tyre that was homoerotic, it was the talk of grappling with extendible tools, toolboxes and nuts.

    Suburban Hen: Yay, a C+! It's like passing my GCSEs all over again :)
    Even if you are more of a man than me -- how do you feel about that?

    Raine: In their defence, if nobody had ever showed Greg and Chris, how were they to know? Would you have known, without ever having been shown (even if you were only 5)? I'm glad I get a B-, that's a pretty decent grade, so I'm grateful -- and for the tip that I should give the tyre a kick more often.

    Tom: I knew you'd understand where I'm coming from with "being a man". Strangely, I get desires to do manly things -- build stuff, decorate things -- but I suck. Anyway, don't doubt that you engage with the real world -- we have a lot to offer, even if it doesn't involve being all that masculine.

    Jamie: An A?! Awesome! Thanks, you're much too kind :)

    Mez: More pish! And you're right, I did get it done in the end, and that's what counts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally- you're still hot. I have no sense of direction either, really, so we should remember to never leave the house without a map or sat-nav, otherwise we'll be languishing somewhere in the desert before we know it, a none too easy feat from England. Who needs to know how to park? Just stop the car, surely?

    ReplyDelete