Wednesday 17 December 2008

The flag, continued

I got fed up with waiting for Mr Flag to reply to my email today, so in the end I just called them. The conversation went something like:

Me: Hi, can I speak to customer services, please?
Assistant: Sure, how can I help?
Me: I ordered an Australian flag at the weekend, but when it arrived yesterday it was a World War II German flag. With a Swastika on.
Me: I still have my confirmation email that says I ordered the Australian one...
Assistant: Oh, can I have your order number?
Me: Sure, it's #########
Assistant: Mr *****
Me: Yep, that's me.
Assistant: (apparently trying not to laugh) I'm sorry about this, I will send you out your order again, and will include a return envelope for you to send the other one back.
Me: Thanks, you're very helpful.
Assistant: (still faintly amused but hopes she's hiding it well) I... don't know how this happened.
Me: Ahh well, these things happen, huh?

I know perfectly well this wasn't an accident -- since it's barely possible with the way the site is set up to order such a different flag as this. Had it been any other flag in the whole world I would have thought it was just a mix up, but clearly this was someone being a little shit.

I did consider trying to make a fuss, claim all sorts of offence had been caused, arguments started, tears shed, long family histories dishonoured, but it wasn't worth it. The girl and I are both vaguely amused about it, while thinking they could have tried to be a little more contrite about it.

All things taken into account, their service has been really very good -- the first flag was sent and arrived very quickly, and there was never a moment's hesitation about replacing the flag and sending me a return envelope. It's unfortunate that someone in their team has a funny sort of sense of humour -- or was trying to make trouble -- but if this replacement comes by Monday morning, I'll forgive and forget.

Though I still think I should have tried to claim because of all the distress they should send me the £90 version of the flag, rather than the £5 I bought.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray! Can't believe they weren't a little more apologetic- it's not like you'd received the Austrian flag by mistake, or something of a similar nature. Grumble. Glad you didn't make up a story about long family histories and things, that probably wouldn't have lasted too long.

    I'll keep an eye out for the correct flag to be delivered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As innocent as the joke might have intended to be, it's a REALLY stupid one to have played on their part.

    What if someone ordered it for a friend and had it shipped directly to them? They had no idea who you were and how old you were (I presume) so it could have ended up being incredibly insensitive.

    I'd give them a roasting in a letter to director of the company, just to send the message that those kind of jokes aren't really cool.

    Glad they are sorting it out for you though, shame you didn't just get the right one in the first place though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the cat and beer woman. Curiosity, and procrastination - how did you end up on our blog?

    yours nosily

    b

    ReplyDelete