Thursday 4 February 2010

That old factory sense

Following a conversation over lunch with her colleagues, the girl asked me the other night what my favourite smells were.
I consider scent to be one of the most under-rated senses -- you might consider not being able to live without hearing, or a life lived without sight, but rarely is a thought given to our sense of smell.  Which is funny, because it reportedly has the strongest link to memory recall.

I remember the time I spent in New York -- ten years ago this year, as it happens -- and how I later came to think of Manhatten as a city of smells.  I had a theory that you could navigate the city blind, going only by the unique smells individual blocks or streets had.  One street always had a guy selling roasted chestnuts, another place smelled like blocked drains, somewhere else might have smelled like fresh bread, yet another of steam from the subway.  I wonder now what I might remember from those days and nights, if I was just given the smells -- if the jazz club in an underground disused meat locker might have had a particular smell of sweat and candles, or what the sheets in the hostel smelled like.

I struggle to name five of my favourite smells, without resorting to cliche -- like the smell of fresh baked bread, or newly-mown grass.  But even those have strong memories attached to them, of walking past the supermarket every morning on the way to school, and on cold, frosty mornings feeling warmed by the smell of bread as it came out the vents of the shop's bakery.  Or summer Saturday afternoons when the grass had been cut...

It's strange in a way how we can't smell ourselves.  I know that I must have a distinct smell, the combination of my deodorant and aftershave mixed with whatever makes me smell like myself, but I wouldn't recognise it.  I'm always slightly surprised when someobody notices my aftershave, comments on it, or even can name it.

I came across a smell earlier I had forgotten about, and forgotten the memories of.  As I poured what was left of a forgotten glass of beer down the sink, it foamed up around the plughole, and I smiled as I remembered weekends when my Dad would pull the sofa in front of the tv to watch West Ham play football -- and the big glass mugs of beer he would have.  Sometimes as a kid he would let me take a sip, or I would just smell it and get the foam on my nose.  In years to come, what smells will remind me of here, and now?

And as ever, I turn it over to whoever may be reading -- what are your favourite smells?  And what stories do they tell?  Do you ever smell something and recall something you didn't even realise you had forgotten?  Tell me everything.

4 comments:

  1. You know the top four I thought of while we were having the conversation at lunch- vanilla, cinnamon, coffee, fresh bread. All cliches, I think, but all true. One of the guys suggested bacon, and while it's certainly a good smell, I don't know if I'd rank it in the top five. Definitely top ten though :) The smell of barbeques-- anything barbequing, Australian/UK style rather than US style barbeque, ranks pretty highly. But I can't decide on a fifth to round out the five... the smell of the dog, when she's clean or been to the beach, is pretty good. Your aftershave is pretty good though... that's the fifth.

    Side story- my Pop mostly lost his senses of smell and taste when I was eight after a bought of pneumonia. I think as far as senses to lose go, they are definitely the easiest to adjust to- he could only taste really strong tastes, like chilli, aniseed, Fisherman's mints, or lots of raw onion, so that's the smell I associate with him. He coped fine for the eight years he lived without the senses, though I do wonder how much he might have felt he was "missing out" as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the smell of roasting chestnuts on Manhattan street corners! Thanks for giving my beloved home a mention.

    One of my favorite smells is gas (like from the pump station), but you're not supposed to inhale too much of it because apparently it's harmful.

    Also, I love the smell of Scotch tape. When I was little I would stick a piece of tape under my nose and inhale its subtle adhesive all day long.

    Freshly baked bread, fresh-from-the-dryer laundry, and cut lavender are also favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda: I don't think many of your favourites are cliche -- and I think I agree with your placing of bacon in top ten, and the smell of barbecue. I love that first day in the year where everywhere smells like barbecue...

    Collen: It's funny, I can't stand the smell of gas (petrol as we call it), I don't know about it being harmful unless you're huffing it straight from the can, but it definitely makes me feel queasy. I'm glad you appreciate the roasting chestnuts in your city :)

    And I'm definitely with you on the smell of fresh laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post - thanks for the memories. Certain smells really can transport you to another place and time, can't they?

    Some of my favourites are:

    * Gardenia flowers. My Kindergarten classroom had some beautiful gardenia bushes right outside the door, and as a 5 year old, I found the scent of gardenia flowers heavenly. In fact, I still do, and that fragrance reminds me of Kindergarten every time (and luckily for me, I loved Kindergarten).

    * The scent of a certain generic brand of sunscreen takes me back to my 19th summer, which I spent working on an apple orchard with 6 friends. It was a very memorable summer indeed.

    * The smell of the foliage of tomato plants when it rubs on your hands. This smell takes me back to the autumn of 1996, when I was given the job of pulling out rows of tomato plants at the end of their season. The aroma is green and herby and delicious, and I just love it.

    * The smoke from a particular type of fire transports me straight back to 1997, and the cooking fires in a Nepalese village in the foothills of the Himalayas where I was studying.

    * The smell of horses. I've always loved horses, and I love the strawy, hay-y, horsey smell of them.

    * Last but not least, the smell of chocolate! I make chocolate from scratch and the smell of roasting cocoa beans is simply divine.

    ReplyDelete