Sunday 13 June 2010

No entiendo

I love the sound of other languages.  I don't know if the people are discussing Big Brother, Eastenders or eating babies, I'm happy to listen if the words sound like music.  I especially like the sound of Spanish.

I think my favourite Spanish phrase -- after "dos cerveza, por favor" and "Viene tormenta!" would have to be "No entiendo", I don't understand.

I always say the phrase the same way, with a shake of the head, a sad expression and a low voice. "No entiendo" as if I am truly sad that I can't understand what they are saying.

I use this on charity muggers.  "Hello mate do you have a few minutes to --" "No entiendo", and I hurry past.   The words, the shake of the head, the sad look -- it does a job that a gruff "No time, sorry mate" just doesn't fulfill for me.  The fact that I can't look even remotely Spanish with my resolutely pale skin and unconvincing pronunciation must only confuse them further.

I'd like one day to live awhile in a country where English isn't their first language.  Even if it's Spanish, I'll still use "No entiendo" when "dos cerveza" won't do.

No comments:

Post a Comment