Wednesday 8 September 2010

Untitled piece about rain

Image source
Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night.  I lie still and quietly, not knowing what woke me, but listening to the sound of the girl breathing quietly beside me, in her sleep.

As I lie there, between being asleep and being awake, the rain starts.  A few drops first, then suddenly I can hear it pouring down.  In my mind's eye, I can see the rain as a sheet of water, barely able to see across the courtyard to the flats opposite.

Then almost as suddenly as it started, the rain stops again.  It feels like everything is holding its breath, as the only sounds from outside are now the slow, soft dripping.

The girl continues her soft breathing, and I fall back asleep, not knowing what time it is or how long the rain lasted.

2 comments: