Sunday 12 December 2010

Things fall into place

Image source: http://tinyurl.com/2353vye
Things today have felt a bit like they are falling into place.

I mentioned in a previous post about Marianne Cantwell's Escape Your Corporate Cage career course that I had enrolled on, after things failed to take off for me with the similar Screw Work, Let's Play programme.  This Tuesday will be the second teleclass of the program, and I have been working on my accompanying worksheets.

The first set had me start with imagining my dream life -- not so hard to do, it involved things like writing and living near the sea and working from home.  I came a little unstuck around having to come up with a kind of project the first week -- I just drew a blank.  Like with Screw Work, Let's Play and the book's "Play Wednesdays", it should be something that's fun to do and you enjoy and would ideally form a part of your ideal life.  It's pretty sad when you can't think of anything.

To try and make some progress, and because it comes highly recommended by Ms Cantwell and John Williams, I took the Wealth Dynamics test.  I voiced some reservations at first.  In some ways it isn't too dissimilar to the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator -- that I took last year when I was out of work, and has no scientific validity its profiling.  While I wasn't assured of any kind of scientific validity to it, I was told that it would help with supporting me on the course if I did know what my WD profile is.

I wasn't exactly surprised when -- $100 later -- of the 8 personality profiles, I turned up the "creator".  I'd read that most people guess their profiles wrong before they take the test, but I would have been very surprised had mine turned up anything other than that.  Recently at work we were giving interviewees psychometric tests, to rate their scores in various aspects, such as creativity and organisation.  I scored off the chart for creativity.

Considering I score so highly for creativity, I was a little disheartened that my muse was absent when I wanted to think of something to do.  I could think of my plans and free range career options, just not some little thing I could do for a taste of it.

Fortunately, today that has all changed.  I have worked through my worksheets for week 2, and was required to outline 3 or 4 ideas for my free range career.  My ideas were as follows:

1. Writing childrens books, in particular books about a naughty zebra who won't do things like have a bath or get ready for bed.  Why a zebra?  I just like them, and while I like things like Bongos and Zedonks more, they are a little obscure for childrens books.

2. An adventure sport company that benefits local communities.  It's an idea I have written on here about before, and it's a fairly simple concept.

3. Feature writer.  Essentially, I write about what I am passionate about.  In this case, I plan to talk to passionate and inspiring people and write about them.
I was then required to eventually narrow down my ideas to just one I am going to pursue for now.  It was hard. It was extremely bloody hard.  I wasn't worried so much about choosing the wrong thing, but I didn't want to not pursue something I was excited about.  In the end, I have decided that my third option gives me all of the elements I want most for my free range lifestyle, and can work other parts into it.

Starting immediately I am going to make contact with people I want to interview for my features.  Since I promised this year I would contact Carol Ann Duffy and Simon Armitage, they can be the start -- and my meeting now will be less "Can we have tea?" but more "I'd like to talk to you about your work".

I am excited and enthused to be starting on this -- the Zebra books can wait a little while.  I'm so excited I am ignoring that I have to go to work tomorrow, because this is really what my life is about...

7 comments:

  1. Phoenix Dark (who are you?) loved this post, like many of your others. I really like your stream of thought and love that you are a creator as well. Love your ideas and once you put it out there to the Universe (us!) then the gestation period has started. It will be great seeing you doing more of what you love, I'm here for support!
    Warm wishes, Lise x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so excited for you mister! Will be following with interest. The fact that you're so excited you could ignore evil work speaks volumes :-)

    Also, your zebra books? I soooo want to read them!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I told you the zebra books would go down well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lise: Thanks! It's always nice to see a friendly face! Stay tuned for (hopefully) more of this journey. Do you have a blog of your own?

    B: Ignoring evil work only lasted as long as actually getting to work, but the passion was there. I think I'll have to write the zebra books as well now, just as a side project .

    Amanda: You did indeed x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi hon! Had a blog ages ago & really didn't get into writing as much as I needed to but having urges to get another started. Funny thing is once I 'have' to do something creative I dry up. I'm going thru very similar career issues as yrself & yr adventures help me. It's good knowing we're not alone! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very exciting, indeed! What a great project! I wish you well in your endeavor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yaaaaaay! I'm glad you're getting excited by the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete