Sunday 3 April 2011

Broken

Note: This is not a picture of my own x-ray.
Yesterday, I returned from a week's snowboarding in the French Alps.  On one of the first days out, I fell and apparently cracked my collarbone -- although it was several days later before I got it checked out.  I seem to have a mental block when it comes to learning to ride properly, and I am now considering 'retiring' altogether.

I have always been clumsy and uncoordinated, and as much as we all like to describe ourselves as quick learners, I think I am probably more at the other end of the spectrum: a bit slow.  Perhaps it's just the wrong choice of sport, one day as I fell hard for about the 10th time, I considered that things like learning to surf or learning to rock climb don't hurt nearly as much.

On the other hand, it could be that my ambitions to be all-action Jay are just misplaced, that my interest in adventure sports should be limited to that of a spectator and I should just accept this.

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend that learned to snow board this past winter, and even though she went out snow boarding 2-4 times a week almost all winter, by the end of March she was still falling down consistently. I think it's just the nature of the sport. Which is why I don't do it.

    ReplyDelete