Monday 19 July 2004

On diaries and girlfriends

Before this diary, there was Open Diary, and I started on Open Diary as Sharkbait. The name didn't -- and doesn't -- really mean anything, it was going to be Sharky Sharky but I had email accounts and IM names with it and I wanted my diary to be private from Fiona.

I kept that diary for years, upgrading to Open Diary Plus when that was launched to be free of the pop ups and for the better service. But in the end, I didn't like how Open Diary was run. Some days it just didn't work, sometimes one thing after another would go wrong and stay wrong for days. What really got to me was when people were paying for subscriptions, but not having them recognised. The money would be taken, but the service wouldn't be provided.

Eventually it became time for me to leave my past behind and start over. I came here, after looking at what other sites were available. I liked how Stephen was involved in the community, and how it felt like more of a community. I liked how Stephen answered my emails, and asked me what I thought of d-x and how he explained the idea was for a place where people wanted to write better.

I've never regretted coming here. Until today.

No, only kidding.

All this is just nostalgia, because I was looking through my old open diary for a poem to show Diane, and I forgot that if I edited something my diary would show up as updated and everyone I knew there would be confused. But I can lose myself in reading entries written when I lived in Salt Lake, 3 years ago.

I'm toying with the idea of including a link here back to that diary -- entries written when I was 19 and fretting about my relationship with Fiona, notes from San on old entires -- after all, that's where the two of us met. I won't include such a link yet, though -- this diary was set up to free me from my past. To start over. But I wonder if knowing my past doesn't help understand me better. It's something to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment