Sunday 11 July 2004

"We were on a break" and jealousy issues

San has gone to the coast to celebrate her flatmate Krystina's birthday, along with (most of) her other flatmates, and most likely their boyfriends. I agreed to go, and was actually looking forward to it for a while -- then figured that I would hardly know anyone, and it wouldn't be much fun if San felt she had to keep me company the whole time rather than have fun. So I've stayed home, sending San with the card and the pretty stud earrings I bought for Krystina.

I spent most of yesterday in Camden, again -- this time with San and the additional company of her flatmate (from Leicester, like any flatmate of hers I mention) Natalie, since the two of them wanted to shop for something for Krystina and I just didn't want to have to wait another week to see San.

I don't remember how it started, but over lunch I was teasing San about this guy Sebastian she slept with when we were "on a break" this one time. The conversation had gone from a general discussion -- or rant, perhaps, on my part -- about how nobody ever says "I think we should see other people" without having somebody else in mind. That's probably where Sebastian came into it, I said that San had known perfectly well when she decided we should take a break that she wanted him. After all, he'd made it pretty clear what he wanted from her and she'd kept in contact with him.

It was about the time I was teasing San about him just wanting to be her "friend" that I said how she had been a really, really good friend to him all night. Yes, said San, that night, and the next night, and the night after that...

I stared at her.

What I'd always thought was a one night stand apparently wasn't at all. But we were on a break, says San. I don't hold it against her, I tell her, I was just 'surprised' and needed a minute to take it in. Natalie thought watching all this was hilarious.

San then picked up my phone and started looking through my inbox, and I went to the bathroom. When I came back, San showed me my phone and had highlighted the name Charley in my inbox. Yes, you know Charley, I told her. I've talked about her before, she's a friend of mine that was on the same Psychology course as Kirsty, her flatmate. San wanted to know why Charley had been thanking me for a lovely afternoon. Not that I felt I should have to justify or explain myself, but I told her that, yes, Charley is my friend and we hung out one afternoon. Seems when I was in the bathroom San had read my messages, found this one, got jealous, and toyed with the idea of calling her, to see who answered. Natalie had agreed with San this was just a little bit psychotic, and talked her out of it.

Everything's fine, though.

I'm no longer bothered by the idea of her spending several nights with Sebastian -- it caught me off-guard at the time and that is all. We were on a break, as she says, I just hadn't expected her to start up with someone else so quickly at the time. But it's all in the past. As for San's jealousy... I assured her that there's no funny stuff and it's all platonic. But it was because of a reaction like this I didn't tell her to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, I adore San. I miss her during the week, and love her for who she is, as a whole -- not in spite of her flaws, they just make up who she is. Like I say, everything's fine -- she's texting me today, in typical San fashion, saying she wants to live by the sea, but only in the summer when it's nice weather...

No comments:

Post a Comment