Thursday 13 April 2006

Bat country

I'm ashamed for missing Musical Monday on only the second opportunity I've had so far to take advantage of it; I realise also there has been no "News day Tuesday" or "Serial Killer Sunday". I missed Monday's because I went to London to visit San, who is home for Easter. Things are carrying on as normal in Kings Cross -- a Starbucks has opened (though I don't believe they really open, I think they're alive and they grow...) and new buildings are springing up along the skyline. The area is regenerating, all in time for the Olympics, I don't think I even saw a single burned-out car this time round. In San's house things have their own kind of normality -- San's younger sister came out to their Mum, who I don't think was really all that surprised considering the amount of time she was spending with her girl "friend".

Things carry on more or less like they always have. In San's flat I noticed a mini trampoline. "Why do you have that?" I asked. San told me her sister had bought it, and didn't ask anything more. If San had bought it, I might have tried to understand why -- but San's sister and her mum buy strange things they see on TV. Like the new water filter in the kitchen. Not satisfied with the plastic jugs you fill up and put in the fridge, now they have an electric one with indicator lights and stuff that looks like an R2 unit and doesn't chill the water like it's supposed to.

San and I went to see the film "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada", in a screening with only perhaps half a dozen other people. Described as "Part complex character study, part Peckinpah-esque border Western, part mystic epic" the film revolved around a killer being made to carry his victim's corpse to his resting place in Mexico. It was funny in places, touching in others, and sometimes just sad, and needless to say I really liked it.

So that's why I missed Musical Monday, I will try and make a belated post to make up for it tomorrow since I already picked out in advance who it will be about.

2 comments:

  1. On your recommendation, I decided to look up my local independent cinema and see if they were showing it. Turns out they are, but only until tonight, which is a bit late notice. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be checking! The film sounded worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete