Sunday 21 January 2007

I predict a riot

I've been threatening a hockey post for weeks, so here you are -- what might become a weekly slot, if there is enough to write about.

Tonight saw another home win for the Chieftains -- but what should have been a comfortable game against the Barons was instead scrappy and low-scoring. A first period with no goals at all hardly had the crowd on their feet, and the usual drums were strangely quietly as the fans had little to sing for.

A low-scoring game shouldn't necessarily make for an uninteresting one, but the Chieftains didn't seem on top of their game -- frequently losing their possession, and fouling up shots at the net. Things got worse as the Barons drew first blood with a lucky goal. There was the usual penalties for and against both times -- the usual refs with no idea what was actually going on, and several opportunities where it looked like there would be blood on the ice before the night was through.

Energy was low, even moving into the third period -- what usually spurs the Chieftain boys into an aggressive counter-strike this evening seemed to do little to encourage them. Everything changed when Randall evened the score, and suddenly with everything to play for we realised that we could still win this tonight. A 1-0 lead was hardly insurmountable, I've seen them recover spectacularly from far worse, but it was the equalising goal that I think the team needed to show them.

The Barons should never have been a match for the Chieftains, the game was stop-start all night, and I think the two combined are what made it seem so washed-out. It could have gone either way, but the victory was sealed by Palov's goal in the second half of the last period. With only 9 minutes remaining on the clock, the Baron's seemed to take the familiar approach of looking for trouble. They could still have equalised -- you could tell everyone there felt it, just as there was going to be tears before bedtime.

Despite a penalty in the closing minutes, the Chieftains secured their win -- but even with the game won, a fight broke out and it seemed like someone wasn't going to be happy without settling their own score...

5 comments:

  1. Hockey is pointless if there are no fights. that's why it's the only sport I'll watch, and the only sport I'll watch at the arena. I don't mind freezing my ass off and eating soft pretzals if someone is going to leave the ice bloody. u_u

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to my first ice hockey match ever tomorrow -- I'll keep you posted! thanks for the now-to-be weekly sports column!PS:Can I add your blog to my links?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... I could leave some indignant comment about how "much" we've progressed as a species when we love blood sports so much but I love the blood sports meself. It sounded like a cool game.

    Oh and for anyone who does like blood sports live, I highly recommend checking out a Muay Thai match. Pronto. I didn't see blood per se, but I did see a guy get knocked unconscious...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie: I don't go for the fights, I don't consider it pointless without them, but I have to admit enjoying the electricity when it looks like a fight's going to break out.
    WeeItalianChick: Who's your local team? And maybe we could start a trend for weekly posts about hockey -- and feel free to link to me, I already link to you.
    Madame Boffin: Maybe you, too, will be heading out to watch some hockey soon, as a lover of bloody sports?

    ReplyDelete
  5. they are called the Manchester Phoenix? No idea,but sure that by tomorrow this time I'll be hockey-ed out!

    ReplyDelete