Monday 16 April 2007

Musical Monday (#17)

Tagged by his eminence, the Baron Hashbrown, I dutifully indulge myself with the music meme. As Baron H himself describes it: "The top ten list of the bands/acts you would most like to see live. Those you have missed or never managed to see and those you would sell a kidney to get tickets for."

In no particular order:
1)The Pixies.
Previously had broken up when I first got into their music, then I've missed a couple of chances to catch them live. Next time they tour, I'm going -- even if I go on my own.
2)Smashing Pumpkins
This might not count since I do have tickets to see them headlining the Reading festival this year -- but what I mean is the classic line-up, back in the day.
3)Leadbelly
I know he is oh-so-popular with the alternative bands of the 90's, and I admit I probably never would have heard of him otherwise. But that doesn't make him any less of a musical legend.
4)Our Lady Peace
My favourite band, but a rare visitor to these shores.
5)The Who
I'd prefer the original line up complete with Keith Moon, but will settle for Roger Daltry and Pete Townsend squabbling. I could have seen them when I was at Live 8 that time, but we'd been on our feet all day and couldn't face having to get through Robbie Williams... A mistake, I now admit.
6)The Clash
Joe Strummer, what a legend.
7)The Sex Pistols
Back in the 70's, not now -- even if it is still the original members.
8)Iggy Pop
Perhaps with the Stooges, I'm not sure. But definitely the rock iguana.
9)Jeff Buckley
I make do with his "Live at sine e" album of rare and intimate live performances -- but to hear "Lover You Should've Come Over" in person would have been incredible. Hole dedicated their last album in part "to anyone who ever drowned", I like to think that was a reference to Jeff Buckley's untimely demise.
10)Miles Davis.
I admit to previously stating jazz is for "science teachers and the mentally ill" and that it "ain't nothing but when you push a blues quartet down a long flight of stairs" (neither of which quote I can take credit for, you get a sticker if you can correctly identify both without google. hell, I'd probably ask you to marry me).
I have since revised my position, and think Miles Davis is just about as good as it gets. Oh, to have heard him play, in his prime...

A special mention goes out to Har Mar Superstar -- I've seen him live, so he can't go on the list, but the tent was too packed to be able to "see" him which is half the fun of his shows.

My apologies to Baron Hashbrown for not distinguishing between the living and the dead, though I might come back to edit it later. I also hereby dutifully tag fellow Musical Monday participants Mez and WDKY to fill this in for themselves, and because I'm feeling evil I also tag Madame Boffin and Chosha

And because I didn't distinguish between the living and dead, I feel the need to add in a new category -- or two. First, the "not fussed" category.

1) The Beatles. I've never been a fan of their music, and I doubt that if I was to magically be transported back in time to the Cavern in Liverpool to hear them play if even then I would be all that fussed.
2) Pink Floyd. I Know, I know -- lots of people I know worship them, and I don't hate them, but I'd just as soon keep that kidney as a spare.
3) The Rolling Stones. My Mum wants to go and see the Rolling Stones, so I might buy take her to a show just to make her happy. I quite like their music, but I could live without seeing them.
4) Nirvana. Surprising, considering I love so many other bands of that era -- but this list isn't bands I dislike, just bands that don't make the original list. It's close, but they don't make the cut.
5) Elvis when he was fat and past it.

A special mention goes out to Bob Dylan -- he doesn't make the list because I've seen him live. and he sucked.

Now, my special "been there, done that" list. The great shows in no particular order.

1)REM -- Earl's Court, London, 1999
I hadn't ever been that big a fan of REM, and only went to this gig because someone else dropped out and I took the ticket. It still stands out in my memory as one of the best gigs ever. I saw them more recently at a much smaller venue and it sucked.
2)Pearl Jam -- Reading Festival, 2006
I'd seen Pearl Jam twice previously, including the exclusive gig at London's Astoria, and at Wembley Arena several years ago -- but this was their crowning glory.
3)Hole -- Glastonbury festival, 1999
What can I say? They rocked. Melissa Auf der Maur also looked hot and she still manages to rock.
4)Snoop Dogg -- Live8, 2005
It's the middle of the afternoon, the concert was being broadcast live on the BBC and Snoop Dogg is asking the crowd "What's my motherfucking name?". It was surreal, and fantastic. And we weren't even drinking.
5)Feeder -- The Cliff's Pavillion (Essex), 1996
The first real live gig I ever went to, Feeder supporting Terrorvision, in Southend. I'd never heard of Feeder and knew nothing of what to expect, needless to say for me this gig made history.

Honourable mentions are too numerous to really do justice to; Pulp (1999), Foo Fighters (2006), Green Day (in 2005 and 1996), Eagles of Death Metal (2007), Terrorvision (on many occasions), Yeah Yeah Yeahs (2006), Gomez (almost every time they play), Twilight Singers with Mark Lanegan (2006), The Heavy Blinkers (2006), Ash (on so many occasions) and countless others...

No comments:

Post a Comment