Friday 21 March 2008

Sevilla (part one)

extracts taken from my moleskine journal, a work entitled "stay out of circulation 'til the dogs get tired"
Thursday, March 20
Triana Backpacker´s Hostel, Seville
Already I am excited to be here -- just so thrilled to be in a different country. Outside in the street, I can hear groups of people all talking and laughing in a language I don´t know -- it feels refreshing to be in a place so unlike home.

The flight over passed almost without noticing. We left the howling wind and rain of England behind, and less than three hours later we touhced down in Spain. I must have slept for some or all of the flight, I remember nothing more than about 30 minutes of it. Who needs to teleport when you have travel narcolepsy? Our bags came quickly.

On the drive to the hostel, the taxi driver spoke very little and listened to electronica -- while we gazed out at the architecture and palm trees, interspersed with familiar billboards. In between pointing out elaborate feats of architecture, or someone dressed in the traditional Nazareno costume, Dune and I would nudge each other to point out Vodafone or Starbucks.


Even though it was already late when we arrived, we were hungry and eager to see some of the parades of the Santa Semana -- which apparently didn't even begin until 12.30 that night. Fearless explorers as we were, Dune and I struck out into the city to first find tapas. Food quickly was a priority so we weren't in the mood for taking our time -- that's why when we stopped at a bar and Dune thought it looked a bit dingy, I suggested we went inside and had a look anyway.

As it turned out, the bar was less dingy than it was local. We stood at the bar itself, ordered a couple of drinks in broken Spanish, and with great difficulty that involved a few English words, a few Spanish, much pointing and much repeating of "no intiendo" we agreed with the bar tender for some tapas. As we stood at the bar talking and laughing and feeling alive in this foreign country, we helped ourselves to bread from a basket on the bar. After munching our way through several breadsticks, the bar tender noticed, and with a deliberate gesture produced for us our own basket. It was only then we realised the bread we had been eating belonged to the man stood next to us, who luckily had his back turned and hadn't noticed the bread thieves that we were.

Dune's meal was a traditional dish of what seemed to be potato and peppers, with a fried egg on top. Mine took a little longer to produce, but appeared to be a grilled chicken breast seasoned with balsamic vinegar and potatas fritas. Once we finished we thanked the bar tender very warmly -- "Mi Español es un poco" Dune told him, "Inglés? Nada." said the bar tender. And so we headed out into the night -- trying to remember from the cab ride the way to the city.

After an indeterminate length of time, wandering down dark and empty streets we felt we had definitely gone wrong somewhere -- and Dune being the hands-on person she is (rather than the "if I keep walking maybe I will magically find my way" person I am), stopped a Spanish couple to ask them for directions. Their English was almost non-existent, but they wanted to help so they eagerly called out to a young woman named Sarah to come back. Sarah turned out to be an east Texas journalism major, spending a semester studying in Seville -- she was lovely and obliging, and didn't just point the way, but took us with her into the city. Once we had parted company with the lovely Sarah, I told Dune I betted she was a blogger. Dune disagreed, she didn't seem the type -- but I insist then (as I do now) a journalism major studying in a European city so far from home could hardly fail to want to write and be recognised. I said I would google her and see what I could find, but I have so far come up short. I think this is inconclusive -- I don't think googling key points about my life would find my blog, either.

The city was almost electric with anticipation for the night's festivities -- and in key spots vast rows of wooden seating was set out for spectators. Unfortunately, these vast rows of wooden seating were also reserved for ticket holders -- not only did we not have a ticket, we had no idea where one might get such an elusive prize.

Our cunning plan of just standing in a spot with a good view seemed to be working well for the first couple of hours -- but the time of the parade got closer and more people shared our idea, and eventually the local policia moved us all on. Anywhere good to see from was either seated, cordoned off with barriers, or already staked out -- but we were not to be put off. We had not travelled this far and waited this long to be so easily put off. Didn't they know who we were?!

We did eventually find a spot suitable to view the parades from -- and we weren't disappointed. Solemn, ghostly figures in pointed hoods and costumes slowly marched along the streets, silently carrying their candles. They would be followed by others in a different colour costumes, carrying crosses and flags, and still more figures with candles. Eventually you would see a glow coming from round the corner, and without fanfare an elaborate float would appear, carried invisibly from underneath, depicting Jesus, crucified on a cross, or the virgin Mary.

What we didn't realise at first -- and not for several hours -- was that these Nazarenos and Penitentes actually seemed to be circiling the city. A couple of times the floats just looked very familiar, until Dune hit upon the idea that the reason why didn't seem to be able to escape them, despite our best efforts to at this point, no matter where we went was that they had no end. It was just going to go on and on and on... After much effort we finally found our way past the processions, out of the city and across the Triana bridge back to our own bohemian corner of Seville, falling into bed about 4am. Even now, I think I am going to wake up from nightmares of these figures carrying candles in never-ending processions I am unable to escape.

It was truly amazing, and I don't fully appreciate how different these European cultures are until an opportunity to really experience them. But this was only the first night, so there is more to come from "stay out of circulation 'til the dogs get tired".

8 comments:

  1. So jealous. You get to go to Spain for the weekend, leaving the cold and wet of England, I get to go to Albany, where it was cold and wet and roos played with my car :( I wish I could have seen the parades.... I've never had tapas, either. I feel like I've led a deprived life.
    I'm glad you were excited by Spain, trips away are good for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!

    I hope you start to take advantage of your proximity to so many wonderful places. It's kinda pricey, but it's worth it - especially since travel is a lot easier for you than someone like me who has to cross the Atlantic. If ever you need suggestions, let me know! I've got experience in 19 different countries - 14 of them being in Europe.

    But to see a festival... wow. I never am able to travel in those seasons. You're a lucky guy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seville! I'm jealous. Going to a different state just doesn't have the same appeal as a different country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah well it snowed in London over Easter. You missed out big time!

    (it was crap. when is it summer?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like just what you needed ! We won't have to wait for a week for the next installment, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful! I wanna gooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. heh looks like we do have to wait a week for the next installment!!

    It was such a great trip and the parades are something I'll remember for a long, long time. Flickering candles under moonlight :) (and another damn penitente!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda: You'll be here soon enough, where there's no roos and the whole of Europe waiting for you to explore. Then you'll be envious of the people back home enjoying the sun and the beaches :)

    Dateless Raine: I do plan to take advantage of my relative proximity where I can, and when I can afford it. There's nothing quite like being in a whole different country, so quickly.

    Diane: You could always go to South America, or Mexico, or even Canada if you want to be really adventurous ;)

    Non-Blondie: Nuh-uh! We saw snow on Monday, so there! :p And didn't you get the memo? Summer has been cancelled (again) this year.

    Jamie: I wish I could do these things every week, I really felt alive. And you haven't had to wait a week for the next part :)

    Steph: You should! All the cool kids are coming to England these days.

    Dune: :p to you, miss lurker, it hasn't been a week at all. Here's to more adventures and more memories to come!

    ReplyDelete