Sunday 30 March 2008

Sevilla (part two)

extracts taken from my moleskine journal, a work entitled "stay out of circulation 'til the dogs get tired"
Friday, March 21
Good Friday, Seville's Semana Santa
Woke this morning to the sounds of drums and trumpets and very Spanish music. Still so tired from last night, I wondered if this was normal behaviour for Spain. I eventually got up around 11ish and took a shower -- I came back to the room to find a parade was filling the streets below; this more than made up for being stranded in the city last night, watching the parade circling endlessly.

--

A day started with tapas and "un grande cerveza" can't be all bad. We found a bar tender who spoke perfect English and who was amused by the few snatched Spanish phrases I knew. I take great pleasure in saying "muchas gracias señor" and "buenas dias". We wandered the city streets, drinking in the smell of orange blossoms, finding hidden patios and fountains.


And so our first day in Seville was started abruptly with a parade -- and I'm glad it was, standing in the mid-morning sun on the balcony and watching the crowds of people in the street. When eventually it was all quiet again, Dune headed out to see the sights in daylight and started with a short trip on a boat down the Guadalquivir river.

We sat in the sun near the city's Alcázar, listening to a man playing simple Spanish guitar, and made plans to return on Saturday to see the cathedral and the Alcázar.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder what it would be like to start the day with a parade practically in my room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As happy as it sounds, I'd be very very irritated to wake up to a parade in my room, even if it was a parade announcing I was the Supreme Ruler of the Universe...Heads would Rooooooolllllll.

    ReplyDelete