Tuesday 1 April 2008

The Movie Meme

By now, you should know the drill from where you've seen it everywhere else -- be the first to guess the films and get a prize. And no cheating, God's watching. 04/04/08 -- because I'm generous, I'll now give clues for those remaining

1 -This is not 'nam this is bowling, there are rules.
The Big Lebowski correctly guessed by Mez!

2 -Greed is for amateurs. Disorder, chaos, anarchy: now that's fun.
(2nd quote) -They're all dead, they just don't know it yet.

The Crow, correctly guessed by Jamie!

3 -How is it that you recall the most trivial events?
- I'll never forget it. How many times do you get to see Smokey fuck the Bandit?
(2nd quote) -- Didn't I look just like Burt Reynolds?
- Except for the moustache.

Mallrats, correctly guessed by Mez!

4 -When you go on like this, you know what you sound like?
- I sound like a sensible fucking man, is what I sound like.
(2nd quote) -Would you give a guy a foot massage?

Pulp Fiction, correctly guessed by Jamie!

5 -I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.
(2nd quote) -I haven't been fucked like that since grade school.

Fight Club, correctly guessed by Jamie!

6 -I always thought it'd be better to be a fake somebody than a real nobody
The Talented Mr Ripley, correctly guessed by Aurore!

7 -Smile you son of a BITCH
(2nd quote) -Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again.

Jaws, correctly guessed by Jamie!

8 -I don't like your manners.
- And I'm not crazy about yours. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings.
(2nd quote) -My, my, my! Such a lot of guns around town and so few brains! You know, you're the second guy I've met today that seems to think a gat in the hand means the world by the tail.

9 -CAN WE PLEASE... JUST CALM... THE FUCK... DOWN!
Shaun of the Dead, correctly guessed by Mez!

10 -How can you be a drug addict in the new millennium? Drugs are so retro.
- Before I became a drug addict, I had so many problems. Now I just have one - Drugs! It's given my life real focus.
(2nd quote) -Power to the people who punish bad cinema!

11 -Have you ever transcended space and time?
- Yes. No. Uh, time, not space... No, I don't know what you're talking about.

I Heart Huckabees, correctly guessed by Jac!

12 -What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?
High Fidelity, correctly guessed by Jac!

13 -I'm not gonna drain you completely. You're gonna turn for me. You'll be my slave. You'll live for me. You'll eat bugs because I order it. Why? Because I don't think you're worthy of human blood. You'll feed on the blood of stray dogs. You'll be my foot stool. And at my command, you'll lick the dog shit from my boot heel. Since you'll be my dog, your new name will be "Spot".
From Dusk Till Dawn, correctly guessed by Dune!

14 -Can you keep a secret? I'm trying to organize a prison break. I'm looking for, like, an accomplice. We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country. Are you in or you out?
Lost in Translation, correctly guessed by Jac!

15 -Marriage is an important part of getting ahead: lets people know you're not a homo; married guy seems more stable; people see the ring, they think at least somebody can stand the son of a bitch; ladies see the ring, they know immediately you must have some cash or your cock must work.
(2nd quote) -Blow me, all right? But not literally, though. Unfortunately, there's no promotion involved for you

16 -So I'm rappelling down Mount Vesuvius when suddenly I slip, and I start to fall. Just falling, ahh ahh, I'll never forget the terror. When suddenly I realize "Holy shit, haven't you been smoking Peyote for six straight days, and couldn't some of this maybe be in your head?"
Zoolander, correctly guessed by Mez!

17 -I hope it feels so good to be right. There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?
Clerks, correctly guessed by Mez!

18 -Amid the chaos of that day, when all I could hear was the thunder of gunshots, and all I could smell was the violence in the air, I look back and am amazed that my thoughts were so clear and true, that three words went through my mind endlessly, repeating themselves like a broken record: you're so cool, you're so cool, you're so cool.
(2nd quote) -I haven't killed anybody since 1984.

19 -No, you *couldn't* just call them the Naughty Twins. They're the Assfuck Twins. Why would you call them The Naughty Twins when they get fucked in the ass all the time?
-Well, that's pretty naughty.
(2nd quote) -How would Christ benefit from me putting my tongue in someone's mouth?

Orgazmo, correctly guessed by Jamie!

20 -We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into locked a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, correctly guessed by Mez!

Update: the results
#8: The Big Sleep -- a classic film noir starring Humphrey Bogart, and a loose basis for The Big Lebowski. #10: Cecil B. Demented -- how anyone could have overlooked this film is beyond me. #15: The Departed -- a gangster film on par with Goodfellas and Donnie Brasco, you should all be ashamed for not recognising the quotes (although granted it's not the most quote-worthy of films). #18: True Romance -- set partly in Detroit, so Jamie really should have known it -- also a classic Tarantino-penned movie, with award-worthy performances.

The commenter with the first to get the most right was Mez, who got a grand total of six correct answers. I know many of you could possibly have rivalled or beaten this, if you had only come here sooner -- so let that be a lesson to you all.

13 comments:

  1. 11. I Heart Hukabees! (and I freakin' HEART that movie!)

    12. High Fidelity

    14. Lost in Translation

    woo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20 Fear and loathing in las vegas

    17 clerks

    16 zoolander (oh my god hilarious)

    9 Shaun of the dead (?? this could be one of those that appears in lot of movies I think...but you're a shaun man so I guess this).

    3. Mallrats

    1. the big Lebowski

    (love #12!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. The Big Lebowski

    12. High Fidelity

    13. From Dawn Til Dusk

    16. Zoolander

    17. Don't know the movie, but I do know the song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy shit, I really suck. I was going to say I'm sure I know 12, but couldn't put my name on it... but Jac got it, and I'm not even sure whether I've seen High Fidelity. Hmm... curiouser and curiouser. I definitely know 9, but again... no love. I did know Lost in Translation though, although I'm not too keen on the film.

    I really suck! Woop! I need to watch more films!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 6. The Talented Mr. Ripley
    (I knew #12, too, but yeah, I suck at this game. :D)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so rubbish at this quiz! I've enjoyed reading the dialogue, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I've got is Shaun of the Dead. You watch a lot of movies I don't know. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. god damn. I'm always too slow on these ones and the only ones I know people already have. Grr!

    I'm sure I know 4, 9, 10, 15, 18, 19. And yet...nothing.

    (wasted comment)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahhh I'm late to the movie quiz! boo! at least there are some on here that I know that people haven't guessed yet!

    Like 2- The Crow (movies set in Detroit FTW!)

    4- Pulp Fiction

    5- Fight Club (I'm starting to lose faith in your readership)

    7- Jaws (ich. I hate that movie.)

    19- Orgazmo!

    I watch too many movies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Godddamnit! I was going to get 19... le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jac: Hey lurker! Not seen you around here before :)
    Your answers were, of course, completely right -- and clearly you have good taste in films.

    Mez: Look at you go! The Kevin Smith quotes certainly seemed to pose no problems for you.

    Dune: For someone who hates The Big Lebowski, I'm impressed you got that one right away. Your guesses were of course spot on -- but I have absolutely no idea what song you are referring to, re: #17.

    Amanda: You should be ashamed for not getting #9! Your homework assignment for this week is to watch more films :)

    Aurore: A bit of an obscure quote, but a film that seems very much up your street!

    China Blue: Do we need to sit you down and make you watch more films? I wonder what your own version of this would look like...

    Diane: You're another one who must have more of a life than me :)

    Non-Blondie: Your comment was great, you're my blondest non-blonde reader!

    Jamie: Good on you, I was beginning to despair about my readership as well -- interesting that you knew Jaws, even though you hate it.

    Amanda: Sure you were, you say that after someone else gets it and I have put up a second quote. I thought the first quote was enough!

    ReplyDelete
  12. just cause I hate a movie doesn't mean I automatically forget everything about it...

    And I've never even heard of that other one set in d- town, which can only mean a blatant lack of advertising in this great and wonderful state. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knew The Departed before you posted the answer, but only because I was naughty and Googled it because I got sick of waiting. But you threatened us by saying God was watching, so I kept quiet, because I don't want any wrath being strewn upon me.

    Frankly, I suck. And need to watch more films.

    ReplyDelete