Tuesday 22 April 2008

He's so deep, like dirty water (updated)

Because Non-Blondie did it first, and because I didn't know any of her answers, I present the geeky music quotes quiz. I think I have a book one knocking around somewhere, consisting of first lines -- I'll save that one for when I'm really bored. I'm not nearly as clever as Non-Blondie, whose own quiz was the soundtrack to her final year at school. I'm just a tremendous music snob loveable geek.

1. She's a real left-winger 'cause she been down south
And held peasants in her arms
She said "I could tell you a story that would make you cry"

-- partially guessed correctly by Raine -- yes, it's the Pixies, no it's not Come On Pilgrim

2.Mary had a little lamb, her face was white as snow
And everywhere that Mary went I was sure to go
Now Mary's got a problem, and Mary's not a stupid girl
Mary's got some deep shit, and Mary does not forget

-- Guessed correctly by Non-Blondie. Perhaps a bit obvious choosing the same artist and album as one of yours, but I hoped the line might be a bit obscure.

3. The war is over
So said the speaker with the flight suit on
Maybe to him I'm just a pawn
So he can advance

-- Guessed correctly by Raine, full marks for identifying "Dirty Harry" by Gorillaz

4. The free market is perfectly natural,
Do you think that I'm some kind of dummy?
It's the ideal way to order the world;
'Fuck the morals, does it make any money?'

-- Guessed correctly by Mez, although technically the title is just "Running The World", by Jarvis Cocker

5. Darling your love is no longer enough
I guess prison has changed me, I need other stuff;
I need gin in a flask, a file and a rasp
A small box of kittens, and a Lone Ranger mask

6. She deals in witchcraft; one kiss and I'm zapped.
Oh how can heaven hold a place for me.
When a girl like you has cast a spell on me?

-- Guess partially correctly by Mez, who knew the title, and so shares the prize with Raine who identified the song as "Female of the Species" by Space

7. Tell me what did you like about me?
And don't say my strength and daring
'cuz now I think I'm at your mercy
and it's my first time for this kind of thing

8.It seems that all of us are just fiends
who have different goals and share different dreams
but you wont find joy in a packet of pay
there’s a void in your life ‘cause you ’re created that way

9. They declared me unfit to live
Said into that great void my soul'd be hurled
They wanted to know why I did what I did
Well sir I guess there's just a meanness in this world

Guessed correctly by Amanda -- anyone who didn't know it should be ashamed! I wrote a whole post about the song, which is obviously "Nebraska" by Bruce Springsteen

10. I'm waxin' down so that I'll go real fast.
I'm waxin' down because it's really a blast.
I'm goin' surfin' cuz I don't like your face.
I'm bailin' out because I hate the race
Of rats that run, round and round, in a maze.

-- A very popular song, Non-Blondie was first past the post to identify "Surf Wax America" by Weezer.


There's still more to be identified, so there's everything to play for -- and I have changed number 8 because I felt it was just too obscure. Unlike number 5 perhaps...

8 comments:

  1. Woohoo! I finally got in early enough to actually get something right.

    9 is Nebraska, Bruce Springsteen (which of course I only know because of you).

    That's all I've got though. I'm clearly not a very good tremendous music snob/ loveable geek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2. XYU - Smashing Punmpkins

    10. Surf Wax America - Weezer

    I win! (even thought I don't know any otehrs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4. cunts are still running the worlds - Jarvis!

    6. female of the species (can't remember who sang it).

    10 - Surf Wax America - Weezer

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10 - Surf Wax America (Weezer)

    This quiz is so much harder than the movie quiz. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. holy shit... 5 and 8 sound familiar but i couldnt place it still.

    i won't compete with you guys in this stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Pixies - Come On Pilgrim (love the Pixies)
    2. Smashing Pumpkins - X.Y.U. (loooove them, too)
    3. Gorillaz - Dirty Harry (from the fantastic album)
    4.
    5.
    6. Space - Female of the Species (don't know why I know it)
    7.
    8.
    9. Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
    10. Weezer - Surf Wax America

    I'm very happy to see the Pixies there. I'd do my own, but I think three people ever see my blog =P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know a single one of these - even now that I know the song titles, I STILL don't know them (at least I've heard of the bands, though).

    ReplyDelete
  8. The new 8 is Success by The Winnie Coopers... which again came to my by way of you (I believe originally from Dune).

    I was going to say that's a bit tough, but then I thought about how many of your readers who're Australian, and decided it was fair :)

    ReplyDelete