Thursday 17 April 2008

Tired of doing day jobs with no thanks for what I do

Work is a bit up in the air at the moment, which is never a feeling I enjoy.

More attentive readers might remember that I took this current job on a six-month contract. It bears no resemblance to anything I would like to do with my life, and doesn't seem to involve many things I enjoy. It was just there when I needed a job, and having seen relatives recently I had their pitying looks and the words "You're still looking for something interesting" in my head. So I took a job that wasn't interesting -- but was instead a steady, secure job and quite unlike last year's PR freelancing.

The fact that it was a six month contract was a blessing and a curse -- it meant that I could hold something down for a nice steady length of time instead of a month here and six weeks there. But it worried me slightly that the job might be intolerable and I'd be stuck in it. As it turned out, the job is dull but perfectly tolerable. They're very happy with my work (although I only ever hear this through my temp agency, they never express it personally to me) but there's a cloud on the horizon.

A couple of people in my life suggested to me when I started the job that this six month contract might not really be exactly what it says on the tin -- that a lot of employers state the job is that, so they can kick you out after six months if you're useless and be free of any reprisals. I hoped this would hold true of my job.

Last week I was having a discussion about work with my colleague Matt. Matt is a nice guy, only ever takes anything resembling an interest in me or my life when there's nobody else around. If I should happen to be in the bathroom at the same time as him, he'll strike up a conversation, or if we're the only two members of the purchasing department in that day. He's not unfriendly by any means, but it seems he's not much one for small talk, and I'm not the kind of guy who likes to talk -- or talk about himself. That's what the blog is for. So, Matt and I were talking and he was asking me about the contract and if I had any thoughts about work here or other plans. I said I hoped to convince them to let me stay longer, not because the job is great but because I need it on my CV for the time being. I said it didn't seem to me like at the end of six months I simply wouldn't be needed any more -- it feels like there is a job for me to do, and an arbitrary date on the calendar wouldn't make my work disappear.

That's when he explained that the manual reordering system we are trying to convince our bus depots to use for the ordering of the engineering parts they need is designed to effectively do away with my job. The only parts that would need to be physically phoned through to suppliers would be the urgent orders, and between them the department (which effectively would just be him and Annette) would be able to handle that.

Of course, there's more to my job than just the ordering of the parts -- I have made very certain of that. Any time something needs to be done, I'm happy to take it on. I incorporate more and more things into my daily routines, with an eye to making it difficult to get rid of me. Sometimes it backfires -- I did this on my PR internship, and even had a personal meeting with the MD where I told her that the job I was doing unpaid as an intern needed someone to be doing it permanently. So they created a job, interviewed me for it, then gave it to someone else and put me out on the street.

We had a new member of staff join our department perhaps six weeks ago, and she lasted all of about a month. She claimed she was lied to by her agency who recruited her and lied to in interview about the job -- what was true we don't know, but apparently now she has left there are legal proceedings looming. The company are interviewing all over again for someone else to come in and do that job, but in the meantime are hiring another temp. They keep reassuring me that this person is no threat to me, will only be here for a few weeks, but that they will be taking over a lot of what I do. There was an oblique reference to more or bigger things for me to do when this happens, but it's hard to see what will happen.

My boss asked me, not unlike Matt, about my plans. I spoke of wanting to perhaps stay and he explained that it wasn't just the automatic computerised ordering system, but that they had to justify to the powers that be everyone's place. He told me how he had been asked to send a list of employees working under him (all three of us, then -- perhaps four if you count the guy who works at a different office) and being a temp the powers that be might axe me. He said he hoped to sneak me in under the radar for as long as possible, but there's a possibility that even if I try to make myself indispensable, the people who decide on budgets for staff won't know or care.

I try to remain positive. I think if it does look likely to finish at six months or shortly after, I will look again for permanent work in London -- with a view to moving there. All the cool kids are doing it, and I think it was meeting Fiona a few months back that made me realise it is not impossibly expensive to live in London without an amazing job. If this job does finish I could look at doing something I enjoy or that actually stimulates me... Or I could look for jobs like this one but in London instead...

Like most areas of my life, I swing between thinking that I have failed at everything I have ever tried, and that if anything ever changes it goes from bad to worse and feeling confident and optimistic about what the future holds. I know logically that whether I think I can or think I can't I will be right, but that doesn't help.

7 comments:

  1. I say hope for the best but assume the worst. Continue to make yourself indispensable but assume that you'll be given your marching orders at the end of the contract.

    I should stress that, from all that I've heard and that I've read, you not being asked to stay on has nothing to do with your ability at the job. They're skint bastards to work for and they'll cut the weakest link: since you're "the temp", that's you. It would be the same for anyone else in your position, I am certain of it.

    I firmly believe you shouldn't have that much trouble finding work in London - you could certainly bring in money by temping, at worst. You have good office skills and your internships in PR and journalism are worthwhile skills that you can turn to a lot of other industries and positions outside of PR, if you so desired.

    Maybe you can't think positively, and I understand that, but I recommend you start acting positively. I'll give you the details of the temp agency I worked with - you know how awesome they are. I'd also recommend dumping your old ones. From everything I've heard, they're useless and don't appreciate your skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a pretty common phenomenon to never receive direct praise. I hear from people (much) higher than me in the organisation that my boss raves about me, but I never hear it directly from him. In fact, one of the few bosses I've had to directly praise me was my boss at the jewellery- and even then it was in the form "the customers rave about you!".

    Let's look at the positives of your situation- which you know for certain right now. You still have a job for the next couple of months. Your current boss likes you, and will do what he can to keep you on. If the powers that be do deem your position surplus to requirements/budget, you're going to be able to get a pretty decent reference, from a job you've stuck with longer than anyone else they've employed for the position. You've done everything you can to make yourself indispensable, which is very sensible, regardless of which way it goes.

    If the job does finish, it puts you in a position to look at moving into London where all the cool kids are, and perhaps either find a job you enjoy, or a job that pays the bills- but allows you to live out of home once again. If the job doesn't finish, you'll be able to stick in something tolerable, and continue to look at the options.

    It's all positives. Having things up in the air isn't a nice feeling, but either way it will provide you with opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo Dune here - your skills and experience can certainly put you back in PR, media, broadcasting - whatever you choose. Hell, I managed to go from vaguely-competent receptionist to senior PA overnight, and still am not sure what alchemical powers were at play.

    Anyway, know this: a door is closing, so it's time to start seeing what windows there are. Assume this job is coming to an end and just think about the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dune, I'm always right, you should knnow that by now! But seriously, I think Dune is right-- hope for the best, assume the worst. You're in a good position right now in that you have a couple of months up your sleeve to consider what sort of jobs to look for, and how to go about achieving that. It's not the same as being unemployed and desperate for anything... use the time you know you have left to your advantage. That way, you'll be prepared if the job finishes, and if it doesn't you can carry on considering the option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dune: Thank you. Not just for the comment but for the real-life advice you have given me -- this job finishing need not be a bad thing, it could be one of the best things that have ever happened :) London here I come!

    Amanda: I shouldn't feel like I need praise, but it just seems the way of the world when everyone is so quick to tell me when something is wrong but rarely mention when I do well. Anyway, opportunities are good and there's a lot of positives to be thankful for.

    China Blue: I have a feeling you used witchcraft, but I plan to follow your lead -- in terms of success at least, if not magick ;)

    ReplyDelete