Friday 11 April 2008

Take a different way home

There was a quote I read once from Sid Vicious, who said "You just pick a chord, go 'twang', and you've got music". That's sort of how I approach photography.

Some of what I consider my best pictures have been taken on disposable or cheap cameras. I don't have any expensive kit, I don't monitor light levels or have any sort of training. I think it just has to come from passion. As is probably obvious, I'm generally more a literary than visual person, I'd love to paint, but I just don't seem to 'think' in terms of pictures. Most of my pictures are from wandering about, just to 'dig' stuff, or just snapping things because I like them -- rather than because it's art. It can annoy me that wherever you go there is someone trying to be artistic -- you're trying to walk up the escalator and someone is there, crouched down with their digital SLR, getting a shot at ankle-height... Or maybe I'm just jealous because they thought of it first?

I try to always be open to something that might make a good picture (although I never have my camera) and will pull the car over, or go back to the spot later if necessary, just so I can take pictures. Sometimes it looks rubbish, but I just shrug and that's that.

Last night I drove a different way home -- I just felt like it. I was so bored of the same dual carriageway that I decided I'd get off an exit early and try to find my way home from there. As we all know, I have a terrible, absolutely awful, sense of direction -- but I knew I couldn't go far wrong, and something inside me just said to do it. So I did. I did actually get a bit lost and didn't really find a different way home so much as a very convoluted and circular way back to the same dual carriageway. But then I went a different way again -- where I sort of knew the way but I think I missed my turning, so I just carried on. What made it all worthwhile though was passing one of those old World War 2 lookout posts -- the old concrete things you see in the middle of fields. There's a few near here, and I always want to take a picture of one I see, but can't figure out a way to get near it. This one tonight was right by the side of the road, and even better there was several places opposite where I can park.

I considered getting my camera from home then driving back there -- but I didn't in the end. The camera's memory was mostly full, since I hadn't yet uploaded my pictures from Seville -- my camera has been sat on my desk for weeks -- so it would have involved uploading everything off it (once my computer was finally booted up) then driving back there again, but the light wasn't great. I convinced myself that the pictures probably wouldn't even be worthwhile -- it often frustrates me that what looks good to look at doesn't necessarily translate to a good photograph.

This evening I went my normal way home. It was bright and sunny, and I decided yes, yes, I would get my camera and go back tonight. I would just go and see what happens...

I had a very nasty surprise getting the pictures off my camera. Half of what I remember taking isn't on there. Pictures of the streets, many pictures from the Cathedral, pictures taken on the boat trip -- just plain missing. Even worse, the morning of the parade, Dune had asked me to use my camera's video setting to capture the music of the parade, and we had been lucky enough to catch a mournful saeta. I am sure I remember checking the video after I recorded it -- and yet it seems everything I saved to the internal memory on my camera is absent. I hoped at the time this was just some glitch I could work out later -- but I've looked since and it's just not there. No doubt it is due to some unfathomable stupidity on my part. I could just break something.

Anyway off I went this evening, and snapped my pictures of this old war relic. I haven't reviewed them properly yet, but I expect I will post some of them later. First, they need to be cropped and edited, and before that I am going swimming. It's Friday night, and I'd normally be down the pub, but tonight I just feel like quietly swimming laps for an hour or so, and coming home.

9 comments:

  1. You lost the footage???!

    HOW?????????????

    Jay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I finally have a fairly decent camera phone, for times like those. Tho I do wish someone would pay me to wander around taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's really shitty, to lose the pix.

    you should put them pix online. i know a really good photographer who only take pictures using pocket camera. kinda like Terry Richardson only not as crazy.

    have a good weekend jay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a long time, I used to keep my camera in my bag, so it was with me pretty much all the time. I haven't done it in a while though.

    Look forward to seeing the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a shame!

    I've always found that picture opportunities abound when you're not looking for them, much more so than on "deliberate" photo expeditions. Good camera phones are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. although I do have the kit I rarely have time to photograph with it. It's too cumbersome to actually take it around with me everywhere I go. I probably would have a better chance of photographing if I had a crappy digi cam in my handbag with me everywhere I went. I actually agree with you on the great photography on a cheap camera. Don't get me wrong. There is nothing like a great lens/camera however a good photo is actually about the art of angles/positioning and light. If you are instinctive enough to "envisage" a good photo before you even take it then you are pretty much 90% there anyway. My cousin (who is an artist) took BRILLIANT photos on a trip recently - with her crappy film instant point and shoot camera which she bought in in early 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dune: How I still don't know, but am fairly certain it would have involved some tremendous stupidity on my part, somewhere.

    Jamie: I upgraded from a decent camera phone to a walkman phone -- next upgrade, I think I am going the other way.

    Treespotter: You're telling me, but I guess life goes on -- we've all been there and it sucks, but I won't cry over spilt milk.

    Amanda: maybe I should start keeping my camera in my bag, for such occasions?

    Wdky: See above to Jamie -- I am so going back to a camera phone. And I think the accidental opportunities are a good reason to carry my camera more...

    Mez: It depends what you want -- it's impractical to carry all the professional kit around, but does that stop you taking any pictures? I think you would do wonderful things even with something "crappy" -- or you can always use a crappy digi to check out a shot or location, before returning at a later date with all the gear to do it properly?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooooooorrrrr you could get an iPhone and have both!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure you know your camera inside out, but I'll throw this out there anyway.
    My old camera didn't display any internal memory items unless the memory card was removed, perhaps this is the case?

    ReplyDelete