Monday 7 April 2008

Pension Book

Over dinner with my parents this evening, I asked my Dad if he would be so kind the next time he talks to my uncle (or one of my many uncles) to ask him for contact details for my cousins. Whenever we see each other we're all like "We must meet up and go for drinks!" but we forget the important part of actually exchanging details.

I explained that I already have another two of my cousins contact details after I found them on Facebook, but the cousins I am pestering my Dad for are all a few years older than me, and I don't think they really "do" social networking.

Life then took a turn for the very surreal when my Dad announced he was on Facebook. I tried very hard to snort lager out through my nose at this point. Really? I asked him. Yes, he said, I signed up once when I was looking for old school friends, but I didn't find anyone.

At this point I really couldn't stop laughing, it was the most absurd thing I have ever heard -- but I quickly realised he was talking about friends reunited, which we all know includes everyone you went to school with trying to pretend they are earning 100k a year and living in Beverley Hills. I think the last time I updated it I claimed I had moved to a Buddhist monastery.

My Dad sadly has no idea what Facebook is -- I say sadly because I would love to see what groups he would join. Perhaps "retired accountants kick arse" or "I like to talk when you are trying to watch a film", or just "I spend so much time on my own I have long conversations with the cat, including pauses for the cat to respond in".

Update: I underestimated Dad and clearly shouldn't be so quick to make assumptions about him! He really is on Facebook -- and really did join to find old school friends -- but it seems he hasn't done anything on it since the day he joined.

9 comments:

  1. Naw that's cute! You should totally set your Dad up on Facebook. My Mum's on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously the situation is different for every parent, but my Mum is on Facebook, and I know a few people whos parents are on there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to get my gram on facebook forever! The problem with her is not that she wouldn't get it, but that she's involved with -too many- online groups as it is. My mom wouldn't get it, though. The innernets is for playing backgammon and listening to radio stations that include Michael Buble. (her older sister is on myspace,tho. I think Internet savviness just skipped over my mom. )

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the funniest thing I heard all day! Is it sadder to pause for a cat's response or to respond in its stead?

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, that's hilarious. I don't think my mum knows what Facebook is, my Dad does from seeing the CowGirl on there, he refuses to join (although he seems quite interested in my Scrabulous playing habits). Imagine if your Dad was on FB, you could be his friend, and he could stalk you.

    That group about the cat sounds like something you would joing, so clearly you got your love of the cat from your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw your dad's cool! Well ok that might be pushing it, but he's interestingly eccentric. At least he doesnt do the responses back for the cat yet, my aunt & uncle who are quite young and ostensibly still have all their faculties about them do that for their dog. It can be a little creepy...considering they left her with my grandparents when they moved to England.

    Parents on Facebook = bad idea. I accidentally sent invites to my whole email contact list, and all my aunts and uncles signed up. I have more family than friends on Facebook now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dune: You talk to your Mum on Skype -- my Dad struggles with a mobile phone, I don't think they're in the same league!

    Chipd: I don't doubt that lots of adults are perfectly capable of using t'internet, but the thought of my Dad on Facebook is pant-wettingly funny to me.

    Jamie: Does your Gram spend all day on Second Life?

    Aurore: His conversations with the cat are like those you might have with a puppet -- he pauses for the cat to respond, then continues as if the cat *has* responded. At least he doesn't put on a voice for the cat.

    Amanda: I don't think my Dad does either, and I seriously doubt if he would really get what the point of it is. I'm not sure if that's necessarily a bad thing. And I got my love of cats from my Mum, my Dad just spends too much time alone with just the cat.

    Non-Blondie: I will have to introduce you to my Dad sometime, maybe you could challenge him to a game of darts? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ROFL, that completely rocks. My mum still hasn't got her head around the fact that Email can still come on a Saturday or Sunday: "but they don't deliver then" - yeeeeeees...

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...wait, are you trying to set me up with your dad? CREEPY!

    I mean yes, Jem does make dad-type jokes a lot, but that doesnt mean I'm into him like that!

    ReplyDelete