Tuesday 8 April 2008

Suddenly I See

When we were in sunny Seville, I told Dune that I had discovered two things about her and that I was going to make sure I blogged about them. The first was that completely unlike me she not only had a good sense of direction, but an almost uncanny internal compass -- without needing to really try, she would often know exactly where we were and how to get where we needed to be. I would say something like "Stop -- weren't we meant to go the other way down the street?" and she'd gently point out that we were going the other way to normal.

The other discovery was that her moral compass might just have got a little bit off course -- and that perhaps it had been exposed to a magnet at some point. We were discussing her proposed laser eye surgery, and how she was going to have x-ray vision as a result of it -- and how she planned to use her power for evil. I was shocked, as you might imagine, and insisted in a similar position I would only use my powers for the good of humanity. Dune said anyone who claimed such a thing was either delusional, a liar, or both -- and that spying on people's underwear was the way forward.

Fast-forward a couple of weeks to this past Saturday -- the big day of Dune's surgery. She had asked me earlier if I wouldn't mind accompanying her, since she would need someone to help her get home; I refused to let her give it another moment's thought, of course I would go. Dune was a little concerned that I'd have to amuse myself for a few hours while she was in there and recovering, but I insisted that wasn't something she should concern herself with. I figured I could go watch a film, or find a bookshop on Charing Cross Road where I could read poetry, or any number of things.

Naturally, Dune was a little apprehensive on the day -- it sounded like a frightening procedure, even if it was to be the very definition of quick and painless. We found the place with the slightest trouble with locations, and on arriving found it wouldn't be the 2 - 3 hours we anticipated, but more like 90 minutes. They also helpfully left it to this point to mention that Dune shouldn't take the Tube after the surgery, because it was "dirty". Okay, fair enough, they might have a point -- but being located in central London might it not have been helpful to mention this sooner?

Don't get me wrong, I like catching the bus. I actually prefer bus journeys in London to tube journeys because there's more to look at, and if the bus breaks down at least you can just get off and walk. But they take forever. The traffic is always terrible, then there's always road works on top of that, and in the end you wonder if it would be quicker to walk. It's not quicker to walk from Tottenham Court Road to Liverpool Street station, if anyone is wondering -- I've not done it, but I did consider it once, and worked out I'd be better of just sleeping under my desk in the office.

If there is one good thing to be said for them waiting until almost the last minute to mention this Tube aversion, it was that at least it would give me something to do while I waited. I considered an internet cafe, but instead sent off a hasty text message to AQA asking for bus details since I figured it would cost just the same, and someone else could do the leg work. Turns out I would have been better off working it out for myself, since although they told me what bus to get from what bus stop, it wasn't quite as detailed as it might have been.

While Dune was going under the knife, I walked to Leicester Square -- about a minute away from where I was working in PR around this time last year -- and grabbed lunch at Hamburger Union. The food is very good quality, but unfortunately I don't think the price tag quite matches the increase in quality. Go into Burger King, you can get your bacon-cheeseburger with chips and a coke for less than a fiver, go to Hamburger Union and they might be made from freerange cows who live happy lives in lush valleys, served on rustic bread with ears, and real chips that look and taste like chips and aren't frozen -- but the price doubles. I should have gone to Subway on Charing Cross Road and just got a steak and cheese with green peppers.

I was just leaving the burger joint when Dune called to say she was finished with the surgery and I was welcome to come back. I made haste to get back, and was led to a quiet, dimly lit room, where people including Dune were sombrely sat in their dark glasses. Nobody seemed very happy, although I wanted to tell the man who seemed to be there with his girlfriend that now was not the best time to complain to her about the cost of their taxi home.

Dune and I set off before too long to find the bus stop, and although Dune could actually see (I was unsure if she would be able to or not, at first), the biting wind and the dust wasn't making it a very pleasant experience for her to be outside, and she let me know that it would be appreciated greatly if we could find this bus stop as soon as humanly possible. At this point -- not being entirely sure where our bus stop was -- I thought again how it might have been better to have worked these things out for myself first of all. Luckily, one bus stop had a map on the wall of the shelter and I was able to establish we wanted to be on Oxford Street.

Back we walked, the way we came, and Dune was particularly unimpressed that we had to walk past the fountains at Centre Point, which were spraying in her face and her eyes because of the wind. Luckily, I escaped a beating when I found our bus stop, and we didn't have to wait too long for our carriage. The bus journey of course took forever -- and I think Dune had her eyes closed when I was pointing out St Paul's Cathedral -- but to its credit, it got us to the very door of Liverpool Street Station. Better yet, our platform was just at the bottom of the escalators, and a train was ready and waiting for us.

Even in her weakened state, Dune was telling me how much clearer her vision now was -- but her leisure activities were greatly restricted. There was to be no television, no reading, and no computers. Luckily, she was allowed to drink wine otherwise we agreed she might as well just end it all... We also later found that Dylan Moran's stand up is perfectly reasonable to listen to as a kind of radio show. I can personally vouch for Eddie Izzard's suitability for this, too. Both benefit from the visuals, but if you've got a heap of imagination they work very well as sound-only. Not only does Dune have imagination, but she also now has X-ray vision, which she plans to use for nefarious purposes. So be warned.

9 comments:

  1. I want xray vision! I don't know if anyone would give it to me though.

    Dylan Moran is one of the funniest stand-up comedians ever, along with Ricky Gervais (even though I'm not a huge fan of the office), a good choice for post surgery recovery I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great - I'm closing in on my decision to have the same procedure, and now I know who to ask to come with me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Dune not to judge my underwear, I have to do laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my god and something actually pertinent to the topic of laser eye surgery perhaps...my grandpa had it done about 5 years ago, and he spent the week after walking around and staring in amazement at the colours in things. Like, he never noticed the blue ring under the orange on a gas flame. And he always thought the new Australian $5 notes were gray, not purple. My grandpa is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would use my powers for evil, too... though I'm not sure I'd get that done to my eyes.

    I guess having 20/20 vision to start with makes me unable to understand fully what glasses are like, but I LIKE glasses. I prefer guys with them, and I think they're great. I've also had many lasers in my eyes (annually for seven years) and it's certainly a painless and odd experience. For me, it's a laser camera! Woo! In fact, there's a good chance I could never be a candidate for laser vision correction.

    Also: the only way I know of Eddie Izzard is through Mp3s of his work. Faaaantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raine: the laser bit is fine - it's the cutting into your eye bit that happens before that's unnerving.

    I wouldn't beat you - just flay you with my waspish mouth :P And, considering the indignities I'd just been through, I was in a helluva good mood!

    I also maintain that anyone with xray vision would use it at least once for their own personal gratification. Protest all you want, but I know the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. With X-ray vision, you wouldn't really be able to see anything other than bones - hence when you go to the hospital and get X-rays taken, all you can see on the resulting images are bones. X-rays have a short enough wavelength that they can pass through - ....


    Wait a minute. Forget science! I like the non-scientific version of X-ray vision much better. Underwear-watchers unite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dune you are so freakin brave. The mere thought of anyone coming within an inch of my eyeballs with a laser or any sharp implements, makes me want to end it all!!

    Jay, you are such a sweetheart for taking care of her. Bless ya.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda: Why wouldn't they? Because you, too, would use it for evil?

    Tony: Ha, I should maybe hire out my services for accompanying people to their surgery. Though it would be better if when I do that I know where to catch the bus.

    Non-Blondie: You really do have a thing for older male relatives don't you?!

    Raine: I guess you're right, having 20:20 vision must make it difficult to imagine why you would want your vision corrected. But why do you have lasers in your eyes?

    Dune: I'm not sure which is worse -- a beating, or being verbally flayed. Probably the latter...

    Diane: As discussed about the airport security x-ray stuff, that's not wholly accurate. I always knew you were a secret underwear watcher!

    Steph: It really wasn't a big deal, I'd expect any of my friends to do the same for me and I'd do it for any of them. Almost any of them anyway... But yes, Dune is really quite brave like that -- just reading about the procedure made me squirm.

    ReplyDelete