Tuesday 9 March 2010

At a cross roads

I feel at a kind of cross roads today, that I could choose one path or the other -- and though it's been playing on my mind all week, I'm not sure yet which decision would be for the best.

It's no secret that this blog is woefully neglected recently.  In a way, it's almost funny that when I was unemployed I was inspired to write "Things I Love Thursday" posts, but since returning to work those have dried up, along with almost everything else.

I'm considering today shutting the whole blog down.  I know it won't really make that much difference -- a locked, unwritten blog as opposed to a never-updated one -- but I guess it is a matter of admitting I'm just not going to write any time soon. 

I feel guilty that more than neglecting my own blog, I am neglecting the great writers that populate my google reader list -- some of my favourites will have unread posts numbering in double-figures soon.  I'm just slack.  When I get home in the evening I know I should look for a new job, I know I should be writing and reading. But I don't.

Of course, the other path is to stop being so slack and make an effort.  If I can't think what to write about, then just force something -- every other day, post something, even if it's just comments on the day's news.

I don't know yet which road to take.  Maybe it is best to be shutting up shop and one day in the hopefully-not-too-distant future when I am feeling better and have more opportunity for blogging coming back and maybe writing at an all-new URL, but on the other hand -- thr question is best for who?

Picture taken from flickr, via google image search.

3 comments:

  1. As the Peter Gabriel song says:
    'Don't give up
    'cos you have friends
    Don't give up
    You're not beaten yet
    Don't give up
    I know you can make it good'

    There's no crime in disappearing for a while if need be. People understand, but I'd be inclined to keep your blog open, at least for a time. You never know when you might want to resurrect it and then voila, it's there waiting for you, like a return to an old uninhabited hidey hole, with all the comfort and familiarity that a blog site brings.

    Of course telling a fellow blogger that you're thinking of abandoning your blog is a bit like telling a fellow smoker you're giving up smoking. Your fellow blogger/smoker will resist your attempts furiously, otherwise you threaten the stability of the entire project.

    Whatever you do, I trust it will be for the best.

    Good luck.

    I hope you persevere here in the blogosphere, whatever else you do in the real world. Though of course the real world probably matters more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jay--

    The right choice is whichever one you make. As I approach my 400th post (should happen on Saturday at the current rate) I'm still not even sure why I'm doing this, or if I should continue, or for whom.

    The thing is, I'm never going to figure it out, and I doubt you will either. What I've been learning lately is that life is too, too short to spend any of it doing shit you don't want to do.

    So, that said, if you don't want to blog: don't.

    If you do: do.

    Just know that, when you do, you do it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just keep me updated either way. sometimes its best when these feelings arise to just reinvent yourself when the time comes to blog again. i used to have a fitness blog, believe it or not. whole different crowd than when i had 'reinvented' as the solitary panda. now i'm almost feeling the same slack..

    ReplyDelete