Thursday 18 March 2010

Things I Love Thursday

Today marks the return of the much-lauded "Things I Love Thursday" -- a post that needs no preamble or introduction from me.

Absolute Radio. It may sound funny to "love" a commercial radio station -- it doesn't have the cred of an obscure digital station, or an controversial pirate operation. It doesn't even have a great playlist. But what it does have is "Workforce Requests" -- a simple and much-replicated idea of taking requests from people in work. Why do I love them for this? For a start, it gives me an opportunity to think about the songs I like so much -- I can spend a few minutes thinking What song would I like to hear today? and becoming nerdily excited at the thought of each prospect. Then, when I have chosen my two songs, I have to think how best to sell these songs -- why should these songs rather than any others be played. Considering I don't much like working in sales, it's a funny thing to enjoy -- but it's no secret I love thinking creatively, and the chance to write well but succinctly about music is a little thing that makes me happy.

Yesterday I got a call from the station, they wanted to play my choice -- Teenage Kicks by the Undertones. This was all the validation I needed. It made little difference to me that the boss turned off the radio in the office before I got to hear my request -- the important thing was that I was chosen.

Today I am going to request Lies Are Much More Fun by The Grates. I doubt they will have it, but if they don't -- shame on them.

Another thing I love this week is unexpected items in the post. I love getting post. In the days before the internet I had penpals and used to look forward to their letters, but as ever growing up as meant the only post I get is bills and letters from the Student Loans company. One of my little pleasures at the moment is Postrcrossing, where I can exchange postcards with people from all of the world. But better is still is when a friend on the other side of the world decides you need a care package, and sends you a box filled to the brim with a book and a homemade CD and salt water taffy and cat toys.

My Dad was puzzled by it and asked me why I was getting such boxes in the post. Just because someone felt I needed it -- and that was the most important thing.

I think the last time I wrote one of these, I listed Autumn as one of the things I loved. It's quite fitting in a way that winter was conspicuous in its absence of Things I Love Thursday, and it's now Spring.

Spring is definitely a "thing" I love. The mornings are lighter, it doesn't get dark until later, and gradually we are getting to leave heavier items of clothing at home. The sun is warm, the air is fresh and today I even sat outside and ate my lunch. Ok, granted, it was a little cold -- but I wouldn't have been able to do it at all a month ago. In fact, I think it was probably snowing a month ago.

The biggest thing in my life right now is an impending move. Having had to reluctantly move out of my house last December, it's been a long few months living with my parents -- the only highlight being the kittens who are fast becoming cats. But on the weekend that the girl and I decided to start looking round potential new places to live, we found one almost right away. We'd heard horror stories of people looking at dozens, we only needed two. And now we move in next week. It's not just moving out again, it's moving to London this time -- something I have wanted to do for years.

1 comment:

  1. Random joy in the mail is always a good time.

    So exciting to be moving to London- though isn't that where all British people live,anyway?

    ReplyDelete