Sunday 30 November 2003

Radarrocket

December begins tomorrow. That means there is just over two weeks before Christmas break starts, and I still don't have any work experience for the time we have off. Whenever I have told my head of department she hasn't seemed terribly concerned, and only this week did she offer to look over my CV and cover letter to see if there's a good reason that nobody answers my letters.

And apparently there is. It seems that editors will just throw away letters like mine that start "Dear Sir", because -- I am told -- it says I couldn't be bothered to find out their name. It also offends female editors, but it gets thrown away regardless. I am also told that the tone of the letter suggests I am only writing to them because I have to for the course, not because I want to. I thought they would be more likely to help if they knew it was something I had to do, and not just a whim -- but no.

So I have now drafted out yet another set of letters asking -- or begging -- for some work over the break, and also mentioning that I could do with some over Easter, too. One newspaper has already told me no to Easter, so the chances of getting any over Christmas is slim. I do not yet know what will happen if I don't do the work experience.

On one hand, it would be great. I would have four weeks off to just work and earn money -- though I can hardly remember what that was like any more. On the other hand, it is a course requirement and as such they might be seriously pissed off with me. We shall see.

Anyhow. Eating something today might be a good idea, though non-essential. San would not be impressed if she knew how little I eat if I'm left to my own devices -- especially since I am always telling her that I need to keep an eye on her eating habits. I argue that it's not the same with me because I've never had an eating disorder, just like I don't feel the need to watch her with sharp objects because she doesn't have the same history of self harm.

It's really fascinating the number of ways you can harm yourself without actually resorting to sharp objects -- simply not working, spending when I'm broke and, yeah, probably also not eating enough are all wonderfully subtle forms of self harm.

But yes -- I must go. I haven't done any work all weekend, I need to practice writing shorthand dictation at 50 wpm, and have just over a week to write a 3000 word essay on "the good, the bad, and the unacceptable" in news reporting.

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas Mr Jay.
    And please eat something. xx

    ReplyDelete