Monday 31 May 2004

My life was ruined when the Green Dragon closed

It was about 8am today when my phone rang. It was late enough in the day not to be an "Oh God, what's wrong?" sort of feeling when it rang -- but just the same, I didn't know why anyone would be calling.

I answered to San in fits of tears, telling me it hurt to pee and asking me to take her to the hospital. Of course, I paused only to dress and headed over to her flat -- where I expected I would wake the whole place up.

I'd forgotten that today San and various flatmates were meant to be going on a road trip to Blackpool, and kind of final group bonding outing for the girls. So they were all already awake, and reassuring San while she looked up things like "cystitis" and "urinary tract infections". With San suitably convinced that she wasn't dying of anything, and that I hadn't passed on anything I might have caught off any random slutty (and entirely fictitious) girl, she dressed and a plan was made.

We would take San to the chemist we knew was open, she'd tell them what was up and most likely they'd say to see a doctor when the surgeries reopen and to drink lots of water. And then with a free space in the car, I'd accompany the hotties -- sorry, flatmates -- on their roadtrip to the coast.

These things never really go to plan. The chemist couldn't help, because they weren't sure if San had cystitis or a urinary tract infection, and so San insisted on going to the hospital while the others went to Blackpool, without us. They practically begged San to go with them, and San even said I could go. But, really -- if San wouldn't, then I couldn't leave her.

The hospital.......
...................gave San a prescription, and said to see her doctor. They could have done that tomorrow, and we could have gone to t'pool. But never mind. San took me to the hospital when I needed her to, twice, and instead we just had a low-key day together and I cooked a roast dinner tonight.

San leaves Leicester tomorrow, I've got about a month left. She said she turned down a place at Derby university originally because she felt it would be weird seeing all the places we'd gone to when she was visiting me there. But now she feels that way about it here, I won't be here next year -- but first I've got a month without her here. The weekends without her seem quiet enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment