Sunday 14 May 2006

Serial Killer Sunday

I realise these last couple of weeks I have sort of dropped the ball on Serial Killer Sunday -- not because of a lack of interest, either on my part or on the part of any readers, but because I'm not sure where to take it. The original idea for it was to be a kind of approach like Musical Monday, drawing on the idea from Natural Born Killers; with the media making killers into celebrities. When it started though, I decided to play it straighter than that -- real people's lives have been affected, and it would be wrong to joke about it.

However, what I am doing with it isn't very original -- it's nothing you can't find anywhere else on the web, except for the occasional commentary from me.

While I want to continue with it, I'm not sure what it should be. Straight accounts of each of the individuals and their crimes are available on countless sites, from wikipedia to various serial killer pages and books. But it would be wrong to 'promote' the killers too (as opposed to promoting The Killers, who probably have a very dedicated PR team), even in a semi-ironic way. This leaves me looking for a third option, if I am to continue with the straight reporting then I need to be bringing more of myself and my own writing into it -- more personal commentary or reaction perhaps.

Anyway, last week's absent Musical Monday was not related to this; I just didn't get round to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment