Sunday 28 May 2006

What's the deal with my brain

I got off the train in West London, and saw I had 15 minutes before I had to meet her. Time enough to make sure I knew where we were meeting, and then to look for a Mexican restaurant I had received some info about in a text message.

It was a warm and sunny day, and I was in no hurry as I wandered down the road looking at the people and the buildings around me, looking for numbers on the buildings. I got as far as 300-something before I gave up, I was looking for 800-something and guessed finding it would be too long a walk. So I wandered as leisurely back to the "Chop Chop Noodle Restaurant".
I wasn't waiting long before a pretty girl with an antipodean accent was standing there speaking my name.

In a dramatic twist of fate, the girl I spent last week sulking over contacted me Saturday. Far from having lost interest, she'd just been a slacker, and said she wanted to meet up. I texted her Sunday morning after I got up, and we made plans to meet for a sort of late lunch while she was on her break from work.

Middle of last week -- at work in the pub -- I looked at the rota for this week, and saw I had been scheduled to work 12 - 7 today. I was already working 5 - 1 Saturday night/Sunday morning and despite the bank holiday Monday, wanted two actual days off. So I said to Laura "I can't work on Sunday, I made plans before the rota went up". I was a little irritated when she demanded to know what my plans were, as if they had to be judged on if they were worthy of the day off. In hindsight, she was probably just taking a friendly interest. I lied, and told her I was meeting a random girl I know from New Zealand who has just moved to London.

The week wore on, and it seemed like I wasn't going to hear from this particular young lady again, and I wondered if I'd tempted fate by making up a proposed meeting with her. It did occur to me that it was entirely possible she hadn't got my last message, or if she was just being slack it might prompt her to reply. I had given up hope and got over it by the time I got in from work at 3am on Sunday morning. And saw her email, giving my her phone number.

There's not a whole lot to say. We met and had lunch and talked and got on pretty well. She is charming, smart and funny and I enjoy her company, and she made several references to us seeing more of each other -- like how next time she'd get the bill, and maybe going out for Thai food as our next project.

It's all very new and there is my usual tendency to overthink it all. Does she like me in 'that' way? Do I like her in 'that' way? Does it even matter? Was it a date or just good company? What about next time, if there is one?

When I left her she said to send her a text later, so I did when I got home. I told her I'd got home safely and I'd enjoyed spending time with her and she was good company. I didn't hear anything back, but I think I'm starting to get an idea of what kind of a person she is -- and she's not great with answering emails and texts.
But that just means I'll have to see more of her.

5 comments:

  1. don't overthink it - just let whatever happens happen. It's like steps, you end up somewhere different from where you started, it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please clarify this, because I've always been confused:

    What the heck is a bank holiday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're dating a boy. :) You know, the types of girls that forget to call. (Okay, that was a sweeping gender assumption, but hey - you get my point)

    Like M said.. don't over think it - just enjoy being where you are and getting to know an interesting person

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that you shouldn't overthink it. Just do as you said: see more of her. When you're spending time with her and living in the moment, you'll be doing instead of thinking. Things will progress naturally, and wherever you both end up, you'll be sorted.

    Good luck, hombre. I wish nothing but the best for you.

    (BTW, Diane, a bank holiday to the UK is like a legal - or Federal - holiday to the US. Like Memorial Day just yesterday.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know... I need a lot of attention, so anyone who isn't capable of translating interest into action? No, thanks.

    But that's me - you need more space than I do. It's nice to see you all a-twitter over a girl again, though. What's her name?

    ReplyDelete