Friday 11 August 2006

Life, or what passes for it

A year ago, the bombings in London left me cold. Terrorism was not new to England, or to London, growing up the threat of the IRA was always there. Even today there is a noticeable lack of bins in central London, in the stations there is a wealth of junk food and no bins to dispose of it in. I'm surprised there's even post boxes.

But this was a different animal.

And then exactly two weeks later, another group of young men tried to do the same thing again. Where are they now? It hasn't occurred to me to think of it since that time, but now I do wonder what happened to those men after they were arrested. Are they in prison, in holding cells? Have they been shipped to some overseas detention centre? I'm not overly concerned for their welfare -- however callous it sounds -- I just dislike how these things disappear from the public eye.

Fast forward just over a year, and our secret services -- or whoever -- foil a major terror attack. Men are in custody, the press are full of dire warnings, and London is on the highest alert possible. The city seemed unnaturally quiet today, perhaps because this level of alert says an attack is imminent.

The trouble can be, though, when do we know who to believe? It was only a couple of months ago that there was a dramtic raid and men were arrested, one was shot, and it was said a chemical weapon attack on the UK had been avoided at the zero hour. Tabloid newspapers were full of warnings of an impending attack, an attack that didn't come. The men were released without charges, without any evidence of chemical weapons or criminal activity, and the police made awkward apologies for shooting one of them.

Then remember even before July 7, there was the time with the tanks at the airport. They wouldn't say why they were there, what they were achieving, we just had to believe we were being kept safe. Sometimes it feels like a lottery. We weren't kept safe on July 7, and two weeks later an attack only failed through luck.

Are these men guilty? Were they planning the largest scale terrorist atrocity we have ever seen? Should the government be allowed to detain without charge potential terror suspects for longer? Or will they soon be released without charges, as just as convenient smoke screen to distract people from other troublesome issues? I have no answers for this, only more questions.

I resent and bristle at the press statements about people who hate freedom or want to destroy our way of life. I doubt very much these people are consumed with rage about people having equal rights to vote. More likely they are displaced, angry and frustrated -- like so many of us can be, like so many of us are. They are easily influenced and easily led and they think Britain sending bombs to Israel or invading Iraq, Afghanistan, is the same thing as blowing up commercial airliners.

But it comes down to what can you do? The official lines are remain vigilant, go about your normal life. Life has to go on. But I wonder, when will it end? Will it ever end? With the IRA there were ceasefires, peace talks, negotiations -- but how do you sit down around a table with people who plan these things? If indeed these things are real at all.

Maybe this is just how life is going to be.

5 comments:

  1. It's not different from any other time in history, except scale-wise. And coverage wise. We only are aware of what they choose to let us in on. I don't believe much that I'm told to begin with, so i guess I'm no help. But, bottom line, people always feel the need to kill other people and nothing really changes in that. It's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I'm afraid you're right. I'm afraid that this is just how life is going to be. And it really sucks. It makes me wonder how the world could have gone so wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about this too. I'm afraid it's here to stay. This is life now - I can't see it getting better. I see it getting worse. It might be wise to pack up and move to an island in the south pacific somewhere, where noone has ever even heard of racial profiling..

    ReplyDelete
  4. AJ: I agree with you there. I expect the threat of an untimely demise was pretty high during the world wars of the 20th century, and again at the height of the cold war the threat of mutually assured destruction was there. I should be grateful we don't have a military draft, or that it's not considered a fit and noble thing to do.

    And even without wars -- at least wars on this scale -- there were always raging pandemics, short, nasty and brutal lives. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

    Saru: I don't think it's the world that's wrong, it's the people. But I think maybe it's always been this way, just now it's on a terrifyingly larger scale. But there is still a lot of good in this world, I suppose it just doesn't impact in the same way.

    M:Last year I talked of packing up and moving to Belgium, sure nobody wants to blow up Belgium. My friend Calvin set in motion plans to move back to Canada -- although obviously that's no better. But I think wherever you are, on an island in the south pacific or whatever the cause, there will be trouble. We must learn to live together as brothers or we will die together as fools, and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you're not wrong, Jay... but I'm still hoping there's a resolution in the middle east somewhere down the line.

    In the meantime, I guess we live with it. As best we can.

    ReplyDelete