Saturday 19 August 2006

The week in review

Readers, forgive me, it's been nearly a week since my last update. It's frustrating, I need a kind of telepathic typewriter to update for me -- since I will think of things to write about, then either forget or miss the chance to update. Then before I know it a week has passed. Maybe I should write a bunch of updates all at once and then slowly leak them out over a course of a week.

So, the week in review, in reverse order: After silence from them nearly all week, the dating website opened the lines of communication with me yesterday. I had emailed them on Thursday for the second time, and it probably sounded quite snotty -- but so it should, they have £100 of my money, I wasn't happy about it and I had already emailed them last weekend. But I take back every bad thing I said about them, they have been incredibly cooperative. It was explained to me how I accidentally signed up for the year's premium package -- it's the default, if you don't select what one you do want, which is slightly cheeky to my mind. However, when my bank told me they couldn't get my money back what I wasn't expecting was the website to turn around and gladly offer to correct my membership and refund the difference. Even refunding $171, having deducted some for the 5 days use. Cross your fingers this story has a happy ending.

Yesterday was a half day at work, what was called an "away day" and meant to be a chance for everyone to mix and get to spend time together outside of work. Following an hour-long company meeting. That said, there can't be too many companies that provide free beer, wine or vodka jelly for meetings -- and then free pizzas afterwards. Because of wet weather apaprently the original plan of going to Hyde Park to play sport was abandoned in favour of going to the pub for a quiz. Since I work on the sports team, I didn't think it wise for me to say "I don't like sport", but needless to say I am still emotionally scarred from all the years of being picked last.

Side tangent, is it wrong or abnormal to still be bothered by incidents at school, like 15 years later? I don't so much hold grudges, but I have always had issues with "letting go" of my feelings. This can be that I have difficulty letting go of feelings I had for girls I once dated, or it can be that I am still angry at how I was treated by a teacher.

Back on topic; we went to the pub, for a free bar and a quiz. It seemed like forever before they actually started the quiz -- especially since we'd been told after the meeting to just go turn off our computers and go straight to the pub. The worst afternoon drinking a free bar is usually better than the best afternoon at work, so you can't complain too much. The fact is though that nobody actually mixes and talks to anyone other than the same people they always talk to. I stood up at one point and looked around me and realised I knew almost nobody. I'm still too shy to just walk up to people I don't know and start talking to them. Just the same, it was a good afternoon and I got home from work early which is always a bonus.

The rest of the week has been pretty uneventful -- I went to the movies with Sanyu on Thursday night, to see a beautiful French film, I met with a recruitment consultant on Tuesday -- he contacted me last week after seeing my CV posted on Monster. That's the website, Monster, not on a monster, although that would be unique. Unfortunately, when we met he told me that companies don't like to go through a recruitment consultant to recruit for junior roles, that it's a very quiet time of year without many jobs going, and that I'm better of staying where I am for as long as I can. Which makes you wonder why he contacted me in the first place. Work itself alternates between being something I can do quite happily, and something I absolutely hate. So long as it isn't something I hate all of the time, it's probably good enough for now.

And that's about it, Musical Monday had to be postponed earlier in the week -- but if I can get it written early it will be up as planned this Monday.

3 comments:

  1. oooo and "away day" would be mighty good right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have you back!
    No, it's not wrong to still brood over past incidents - especially if you think you could have handled them differently.

    ReplyDelete