Saturday 9 December 2006

Regrets; I've had a few -- but then again too few to mention

Sometimes if I don't update for a few days it can start to feel like my last post is just left hanging. Like an awkward pause in conversation, and the last thing you said is left hanging in the air. A passing thought -- that any other time might not even have been noted -- seems like a final statement, a declaration to be repeated day after day. Except it's not. Whoever I was thinking of at the time of my last post (and if anyone is wondering: if you read it, it's not you), it doesn't really matter.

The trouble is, sometimes things don't seem to much move forward. You get up, you go to work, you count down to your break, to your lunch, to time to leave. The the next day, do it all again. Lather, rinse, repeat. The days are punctuated by the changing menu in the canteen.

Financially, I still feel like I'm struggling although my friends think my concerns are unfounded -- Jon laughed at me when I said how much (or how little, to his mind) I had on my credit cards. I like to point out when they start to say I'm lucky that I only have so comparably little on them because of the fucking chavs who broke my jaw and the subsequent compensation pay out. I sometimes wonder if I could go back and relive that night, if I would do it differently. Would I cross the road and avoid them, and so miss out on being beaten to within an inch of my life and the resulting agoraphobia in the days that followed. But keep the debts. Or would I do it the same again, knowing that I'd survive what happened and would be able to pay off credit cards and an overdraft.

I guess the key -- as with anything in my life -- is acceptance. I can't change it. I can't change my past, or any of the number of things I regret. Sometimes before I go to sleep I quietly wish for some kind of miracle, that I'd wake up the morning I was going to Utah -- or the morning before I went to university in Derby. That I would be able to relive those last five, or seven, years. Perhaps powerless to change any international events, but able to recognise the situations when I should have done something differently.

If we could change our decisions, if we could cheat like I always did in the choose-your-own-adventure books -- by keeping my finger in the page with the decision, and returning to it to make a different choice when things went wrong -- would we be the same? Would I still be the person I am today without the experiences that happened to me?

And if I wasn't, would that necessarily be such a bad thing?

One could argue that we -- I -- have a central core, a soul, something that defines my personality. I've often rejected the idea of a soul, and I think with different experiences and circumstances my personality could mould or change and be completely different. I don't know if that's the same for everyone, and I don't know if it's a character defect -- and is even that subject to change?

5 comments:

  1. there are certain things that have happened to me that I know if they hadn't happened I would have had different experiences in my life than to what I have had. I'd have a different life. I'd be a little less scared, I think. I wasn't in control so I doubt there is anything I could do to change things but yes I do think about that...I think 'what if'.

    But, even though I say my life would be different I don't think my central personality, my core, as you put it - would be different - just the way I react.. I don't really believe in a soul - in the religious sense - but I do think there is something within us that is ..a core. But yes, we are also moulded in a way by everything that we see and do as well. Who knows for sure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're just asking the same question they've been asking for ages.

    actually, i might have things to say about it, but not now... not now...

    i'm slightly tipsy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's quite similar with my post "what if" but maybe in different context. Let's say maybe acceptance is the key, maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Acceptance is definitely the key, so long as you don't confuse it with ambivalence or apathy.

    I used to do the same thing with the Choose Your Own Adventure books :) Sometimes I wish there was a life mulligan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mez: The things that have happened to you and I are quite different, and I feel almost ashamed to seem to be comparing them. But maybe you and I wouldn't be friends now if these things hadn't happened how they did?
    Treespotter: I look forward to things you might have to say, tipsy or not.
    Ecky: I will check out your own post, maybe I will find something I am missing from my own. Thanks for stopping by!
    Madame Boffin: I'm glad not the only kid that cheated themselves on those books. Did you also try and live two parallel adventures at once, just in case you might be having more fun in the other? As for the rest -- it's a fine line between acceptance and resignation.

    ReplyDelete