Wednesday 27 December 2006

She never loved me, why should anyone

It's funny, it's the little things you aren't expecting that can really knock you off course. Things with San as far as I was concerned were fine. The San situation was over, there was no situation to speak of, I was over it and over her.

I was talking to her yesterday, after she'd been away for something like a week in Egypt with her new boyfriend, or whatever he is. I've stopped caring, and I've stopped asking. One evening towards the end of last week I got a text message from San, telling me she'd been quad biking through the desert canyons at dusk. She said it had reminded her of me and the thesis I wrote on the wilderness. At the time I think I replied with something along the lines of "it sounds cool", but what I thought was "where was this girl when I was dating you?".

So yesterday we were talking and I was doing the polite thing and asking about her holiday. I made mention to her scuba diving and quad biking and said what I had been thinking before. San then mentioned she was going skiing in the new year, again with new boyfriend person. At first I laughed it off -- the thought of her skiing, after she was always so against the idea of winter sports because it would be cold and she could hurt herself. But no, she was serious.

Strangely, I felt -- feel -- more annoyed than anything else. I asked her why she would never have gone with me, "You never invited me" she said. I never got the chance to go myself while we were still dating, but she was always against it when I mentioned it. Perhaps she thinks I should have taken her when I went snowboarding this year, when we weren't even going out.

It's not that I'm annoyed she's doing these things with someone new and not me -- I could really care less what she does, or with whom -- but I'm annoyed that with me she wouldn't so much as sit on the grass. And yet when I ask her why she wouldn't do things like that with me she makes out like I wouldn't take her.

She's said before that I spoiled her, that I let her get away with too much or take advantage. I let her be a princess; she took the idea and ran with it.

I spent the last couple of days uploading and backdating posts from my old diary, and it gave me an interesting perspective on our relationship was. At the time I thought it was important we'd get back together every time we broke up, San thought it was more significant we kept breaking up. Now I'm not so sure who was right.

What her new relationship is like I don't know, but it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth that while we were together we -- or at least I -- could never afford to do these things, I couldn't afford to take her out to expensive restaurants or west end shows or lend her money for foreign holidays. It would be unkind and very unfair to suggest that these things were more important to her than being with me, but sometimes it can feel like it.

This isn't a "I miss her" post, or an "I want her back" train of thought. I'm just pissed off about it, and I can't exactly explain why.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like you just feel pissed for being burned when you seemed to have invested a lot of yourself to make this relationship work.

    There is nothing wrong with that--I, too, have felt that way.

    However, I can't help to notice the lack of congruence between the blog and its title.

    She sounds like a drip.

    God, I don't even know you and I feel strongly that you deserve much better.

    And, in fact, I feel like it will come soon.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, it's like when you go out with the "I'm not a marrying man" person and then break up and six months later they're having a whirlwind romance and are engaged - and you think - Why the hell not me when I invested so much into you?*

    *not actually my story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps his blog title had more to do with the My Chemical Romance he's been playing lately...

    ...and I suspect the deeper fear under his anger over San. Which is completely deserved, btw. There is nothing more annoying and at the same time heartbreaking to see an ex do something with the new person in their life that they wouldn't do with you. And then realise it wasn't because they necessarily had an aversion to doing that thing with you, they just didn't want to. It sounds like you being with San was hard work for you. Relationships always seem like hard work but I'm convinced that they don't have to be (although I've yet to experience it). And whatever you might think, you're definitely worth loving :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crème fraîche: Post titles rarely have a direct relationship to the post, mostly they are a jumping off point. She was -- is -- a wonderful and caring girl, and it wouldn't be fair of me to say it was her fault things didn't work out. I'm still not sure what it is that's bugging me -- meh, I'm just ranting.
    But thank you.
    Mez: That *did* happen to you, didn't it? That's just evil *hugs*
    Madame Boffin: You of all people should know the post title comes from the Vines song :p
    And it wasn't always hard work, there were bright, easy and fun times but I guess the rest of it (during and since) has left a stain on the good days. I think you're right, relationships shouldn't have to be hard work -- but I also think it's important to remember they do require work, on some level. Meh, what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. noooo, but it did happen to Sally from 'When Harry Met Sally' though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now how should I know that - I don't listen to the Vines! :)

    Yep, they do require work but it shouldn't be *all* work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you're unsettled because it feels like he brought out something in her that you didn't. We do so like to be the person who can inspire someone else, the one for whom they will try new things and open their hearts. Truth is, the biggest changes in her probably came from inside her and not from the new guy at all. Maybe she's just in a different place now.

    ReplyDelete