Monday 24 December 2007

Technical Difficulties

I am considering making a return to the blogger-hosted comments. I don't know if anyone is having trouble with Haloscan (other than with the comments not appearing if you view single posts), but I've had trouble logging in to Haloscan to validate the comments. Sure, I could take the moderation off, but with Blogger now recognising OpenID it might be time for a change. The only problem will be all the well-thought out and carefully considered comments left on Haloscan becoming invisible -- they won't be lost for good, since they're stored somewhere else. I even have comments from when I was writing on Diary-X, without the posts they correspond to any more.

Other technical difficulties involve the fantastic Mr Firefox. For no discernable reason, Firefox has becoming very tempramental. One day, it worked fine -- the next: nothing. I click my Gmail notifier to open my email, and nothing happens. The busy light clicks and whirrs on my computer, but nothing appears. I click Firefox shortcuts: nothing. I go to the program's folder: and still nothing. Then, when I had resorted to using IE I clicked an external link on one page or another -- and the target opened in Firefox. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't -- yesterday and the day before it was all acting fine, and I was relieved it was behaving. This morning, there's nothing.

The odd thing is, when I hit Ctrl+Alt+Delte the program doesn't appear as running under Applications, but it's right there in Processes, using up memory and making everything else run slowly -- until I end the process. Somewhere, then, in the depths of my computer it's starting -- but nothing is appearing.

In the meantime, I might switch to Opera instead. It does a good enough job of accessing the web on my mobile phone.

6 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA. "Comment, damn you, or I'll set the leeches on you". That's hilarious.

    I have issues with Mr Firefox too, but I put it down to my computer being crap... maybe it's just Firefox though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you'vre already made the change... I reckon Blogger comment functionality is okay now, whereas a year or so ago it was crap. I don't want to change again, but I dare say that if I was new to blogging I wouldn't find it necessary to opt for Haloscan.

    As for Firefox... well, sometimes it plays up but it's still more user-friendly than IE. Getting rid of Vista was the best thing I ever did, so if you happen to be running that particular monster...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Firefox plays up sometimes as well, but it seems people are far more forgiving of its quirks than for IE. I feel a kind of affection for Firefox, and I don't even know why.

    Happy holidays, Sir Jay, and may 2008 be rockin'. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. meh, the only browser I loved unconditionally was Avant. Anton swears by Opera, but I really don't care. And blogger only sends me comments about half the time. it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Firefox thing is completely bizarre. I've never ever had a problem with Firefox... it wouldn't be a computer virus, would it?

    So how was your Christmas anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda: Ha, yes "the leeches" is a Hunter Thompson/"Fear and Loathing" reference, it just amuses me. And I might just have solved the FF problems, stay tuned.

    WDKY: My only regret with changing comment hosts back and forth is not being able to keep old comments as showing -- but it's only me that goes back and reads them anyway, so I still can. And never fear, I'm still using XP.

    Sensordina: I have an affection for FF, too -- I couldn't get comfortable with other browsers, and felt disloyal. And Happy Holidays to you too :)

    Jamie: I've never heard of Avant, was that a Mac browser? I've been using Opera rather than IE, but it just didn't do a lot for me.

    Dune: I didn't think it could be a virus, AVG may not be wonderful but it generally does the trick -- but I scanned the computer with Avast as well, just to be sure, and it was clean. I then did some spyware checks, a system clean up and then a defrag which took up pretty much all of yesterday. It made no difference.

    I noticed this evening that the CPU for Firefox was sky-high, around 99, when it hadn't even started. This got me thinking so I googled some key phrases, and found various discussions of this same thing. One such discussion mentioned it could be a faulty add on -- and I remembered how the problems all started with the new winamp toolbar, though I thought I had removed it.

    I started Firefox in Safe mode and uninstalled a bunch of add ons -- especially the winamp which was still lurking -- and now I have got FF up and running. Cross your fingers it lasts :)

    ReplyDelete