Thursday 7 February 2008

Mondegreens

Mondegreens. We all have them, misheard song lyrics. Sometimes they make a song more interesting, sometimes they make the song so much more interesting I refuse to acknowledge the correct words.

A friend of mine says she used to think the Elvis Costello song "Oliver's Army" said "Oliver zombie's on their way" rather than, naturally, "Oliver's army". I like the idea of a zombie called Oliver, and naturally Oliver being a zombie would only be a "they" since they would be neither male or female.

For a long time, I thought Iggy Pop's Lust For Life featured the lines "Here comes Johnny in again, with his Luther Vandross and his fax machine...". It seemed logical to me, this "Johnny" the song talked about was clearly a 1980s yuppie. Unfortunately, the reality was a little different: "Here comes Johnny Yen again, with his liquor and drugs, he's a flesh machine".
Yes, alright, that would make more sense.

Many of us are already familiar with the Kate Bush song Wuthering Heights that seems to contain the line "You had distemper, like my jealous eel" (really "you had a temper, like my jealousy") -- although I have also read interpretations of the song that include lines like "It's me! I'm a tree!".

Raine Maida of Our Lady Peace has quite a unique sounding voice, but sometimes the accent can become a little inscrutable. In the song One Man Army, I always merrily sang along to the line "unbutton your soul, take off your clothes, show them your vicar" -- the offending word in question, naturally, being vigor. I thought it made sense, until Jon laughed and corrected me.

Today I got a message on Facebook from a friend, who wanted to inform me that contrary to what I was asking in my status, the David Bowie song Ziggy Starrdust does not include the line "making love with his eagle", but instead the important word was "ego". I have found on a brief search several instances of this same mishearing. Anyway, I would argue that Ziggy Stardust was an alien, and how could we possibly assume what is normal for us is the same for him? Maybe he had a pet eagle that he really, really loved....

11 comments:

  1. "Maybe he had a pet eagle that he really, really loved...."

    Like Kes, only better? :-)

    My mum used to think 'I'm Every Woman' was 'Climb Every Woman', and wondered why anyone would want to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I mentioned on Facebook once, I always thought The Smiths song "How soon is now" went "I am the sun, and the air, of nothing in particular"... as opposed to son and heir... which makes so much more sense.

    Oliver zombie, hee hee, that's great! I also laughed at your misinterpretation of the David Bowie song. I don't know whether I know the song... bue your mondegreen was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't beat "Ivan the Tiger" instead of Eye OF the tiger. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did people get "distemper" and "eel" from Wuthering Heights? Miss Kate sung it perfectly clear!!

    There's a few songs where I misheard the lyrics. Unfortunately, I can't think of any examples. They would've been hilarious though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mondegreens are popular in my family, seems like everyone has a handful of Gavin Edwards collections of misheard lyrics.

    I'm the type of person that's....fastidious? about lyrics, I've always got to know exactly what they're singing because too many singers nowadays mumble and slur and...ugh. Annunciate! it won't kill you! It might even make your shitty song about arm races BETTER. ngh.

    Speaking of which,I have more GLMS for you. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. China Blue: Very much like Craig David and Kes! And "Climb every woman" could have its implications...

    Amanda: I think it might even have been a deliberate play on words in that song, so it's not so very silly really! Glad Ziggy Stardust made you laugh :)

    Steph: I think that the classic line from Purple Haze "'scuse me while I kiss this guy" just about beats Ivan the Tiger, but not by much.

    Dune: I think sometimes it's the conditions in which you hear a song that can cause confusion, there might be other noise or you might not be paying attention -- in which case "a temper" can easily turn into "distemper".

    Jamie: Who makes shitty and badly enunciated songs about arms races? Yay for GLMS tho!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it was the first thing I could think of. Fall out boy- tho I don't think them actually learning to sing would help. Their lyrics still suck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Here comes Johnny in again, with his Luther Vandross and his fax machine..."

    Best ever.
    Damn Johnny and his Luther Vandross...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wondered who Alex the seal was...turns out the Bangles were telling me their lips were sealed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these :) If you can remember awful 90s hit 'Free'd from desire' by (I think) Ultra Nate - Nikki used to think the lyrics went 'Hes got his strombolease', instead of 'Hes got his strong release.' Quite what the fuck a 'strombolease' is, I dont know.
    A friend from school thought TLC's Waterfalls went 'Don't go baby waterfalls' instead of 'Don't go chasing waterfalls'.
    I'm sure I got corrected on one the other day by Wayne, but I cant think what it was now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jamie: I quite like how their songs can be misheard, like with "Ted's Pants". It amuses me.

    Jiminy: It made sense to me! I thought Iggy Pop must really dislike Yuppies...

    Non-Blondie: If I ever have a pet seal, I'll name them Alex, just for you.

    Charley: "Strombolese" indeed! It's always funny when people hear invented words in songs, yet think it quite reasonable.

    ReplyDelete