Thursday 19 November 2009

Things I Love Thursday

I've been bad at this recently, but we are back once more with "Things I Love Thursday" shamelessly ripped off from Lulu, who in turn lovingly borrowed it from Gala Darling.


The most obvious and most important thing I love this week: the girl is coming home.  After 4 months in exile and without pay, my favourite West Australian fisherman's daughter is coming back to England.  It's hard to believe after it took so long for her company's licence to sponsor her -- but her visa was approved within 24 hours of receipt of her passport, and a week on from there her flight back is booked.  We already have dinner plans for the day she comes home.  There's lots of songs like "Leaving on a Jet Plane" but are there an equally moving songs about people coming back?


What I also love this week is my hat.  It is big and furry and I feel happy when I wear it because I look so damn cool.  I bought it for myself two years ago as a Christmas present to myself.  It may not be a Mau Mau hat, and I could ideally do with having a larger head (since the hat only comes in one size) because it has a tendency to slip over my eyes when I'm walking, and I have no peripheral vision.

But none of these things matter because it is the absolute coolest hat in the world!  It keeps me so incredibly warm, and it is perfect for when you want to sleep on the train to work -- it gives my head padding against the train window, muffles the sound and I can pull it over my eyes.  What's not to like?  Also, it reminds me of this advert with Rich Hall.


I also love London this week.  It may not be the prettiest city in the world, and it might not have quite the charm of European cities like Paris, or Rome, or Barcelona, or Prague, or the original colonial style of some buildings in Australian cities I have seen -- but it has a charm and history that many modern cities lack, almost by definition.  As I mentioned in my last post, London has grown organically from various smaller towns and almost anywhere you go in the city you can turn a corner away from Starbucks and McDonald's and still find old cobbled streets and disused gas street lamps.   London has a personality and a history that is undeniable, and unrivalled.

I guess following on from my love of London is my love of Europe.  There are still vast areas of Europe I haven't seen, but I love living in Europe this week -- I love that I can call people in France, Germany, Belgium, Spain, Scandinavia and with the exception of the last one I can usually at least say "good morning" and with French and Spanish "Do you speak English?".  I speak to these people and see bookings for them travelling across Europe to come to London, and they think nothing of it.  Then I'll speak to someone in the north of England and they will balk at the idea of coming down to London for the day.  There is so much anti-Europe sentiment in England, but I embrace it -- how can you not, when you can drive in to a foreign country in less time that it takes to drive to places in Britain?


Finally what I love this week is being one of life's winners!  A competition I entered randomly one day, as I do so often, actually came through for me -- I got an unexpected email telling me that I had won a place, plus one, on the guest list to see Har Mar Superstar at the start of December.  Of course, I am taking the girl as my plus one since I know she likes his music, too, and it can be another celebration of her coming home.

And I guess that wraps her up this week -- not a vast list of things, but I think the first is quite important.  Followed, albeit at a distance, by a good looking hat.

8 comments:

  1. !!!!!!

    I DESPERATELY want that hat!!! Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hat too!! Wow. Very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband has such a hat. But his is in a purple fabric and the fur is of Chinese grey rabbit. It is wonderfully warm and looks terrific on, very eccentric here in Melbourne, when even at the height of winter we do not need such insulation.

    At times, when my husband wants to stir our daughters, he wears one of his hats. To them it's so embarrassing.

    It's wonderful that your beloved is returning and lovely to meet you here again, Jay and on my blog, where I shall also respond in due course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think hearing about people younger than you always makes me feel old - hearing about people a few years younger than I makes ME feel old. I'm not allowed to feel old until I'm 85, I've decided.

    "I want to at least have got the courage to write to my favourite poets and invited myself over for tea." - that alone makes YOUR list better. I've dogsledded AND grew up in an area almost directly under the northern lights. Completely worth it.

    Awww, planes are just thieves, aren't they? My boy got stolen away to Spain 5 months ago. And although it's not as sentimental, the song 'Home Sweet Home' by these guys(http://www.myspace.com/theripperz) is always on my playlist whilst picking up loved ones from the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  5. isn't it great to win something? i love the feeling. and yes i have a hat like that. they're awesome!! makes me feel all eskimo-like :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool about the girl coming home and that hat...my friend that hat is six shades of awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those hats but I know I would look ridiculous! Sigh...

    Nice blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lilu: Ha! You can't have it, 'tis mine. I'm sure you can buy a similar one near you, though.

    Elisabeth: It's the reverse with me, having no children it's my parents who are instead embarrassed to be seen with me. Does your husband have a lot of hats?

    Mae: Thanks!

    Jodes: I prefer to think of it like if it wasn't for planes I would never have met my girl -- and Spain rocks, you should join your boy there.

    Floreta: It does feel good to be one of life's winners, even with small things like a spot on a guest list, or a Subway platter.

    Steph: Coming from a fashionista like yourself that must be high praise indeed. And it is bloody great news that the girl is coming home -- in just over a day now.

    Lauren: You might find you don't look as ridiculous as you might think?

    ReplyDelete