Tuesday 17 November 2009

Working late and walking late


Tonight I had to work late.

Almost every night of the week -- or, at least, the working week -- my company hosts events, which in turn means someone has to stay late to show the delegates where they are going as they arrive.  Tonight was my turn, but instead of showing them where they were going I was sending them away with a map to find the place where the event was being held.

This is the least interesting part of the post, I'm starting with this so that it will get better as you go along and you are rewarded for being dedicated readers.

I finished work.  Wrapped up in a coat and scarf, and set off down the street to the Tube station.  Except halfway to the Tube I decided I didn't want to get on it right away.  It wasn't that I didn't want to go home, it was just that there was no hurry.  The house is empty and nobody would know or care if I got home at 8, or 9, or even tomorrow morning, ten minutes before having to leave the house again for work.  I figured instead of taking the Tube three stops, I would walk.  It isn't far, it was mild for November, and it shouldn't be all that complicated...

You know at this point that if it wasn't difficult this would be a very short post.  I thought I was so clever.  I knew that if I walked one way I would be heading towards King's Cross which was the opposite way to where I wanted to be going, and if I went yet another way I would be heading more in the direction of Chancery Lane.  Again, not where I wanted to be.  Short of going back on myself, there was only one direction left that I could go.

Except it doesn't ever work like that, especially not in such an organic city as London.  London isn't so much a city as it is lots of small towns that have, over time, merged together -- so there's lots of different identities all melting together, and there are very rarely any roads that go in straight lines.  There's no grid patterns to be found here.  And there is rarely any sort of a sign that will tell you where you are -- or where you are going.

I enjoyed the walk, hell I need the exercise right now, and I had no particular place to be.  I liked crossing the streets where by now every third car was a cab, walking past the pubs full of city workers having a quick drink after work which must surely have turned into at least two or three by this time, the pizza restaurants where couples sat in the windows having early dinners, and other restaurants where the owners were standing outside to try and encourage people to come in.  I like those kinds of restaurants, it really makes you feel wanted when someone is that eager for your company.  Or your money.

After about half an hour of thinking I knew where I was going, in a roundabout sort of way, and not minding that it was taken much longer than it would have done if I had just got on the Tube, I recognised where I was.  I had unconsciously managed to walk 30 minutes just to end up 5 minutes away from where I started, outside the building we are meant to be moving to next week. 

I set off again, thinking this time I was definitely going the right way.  I turned down one side road, and I almost stopped at the bottom.  I could hear shouts, and possibly the sound of people running, and I wondered if this was something I wanted to walk out into.  As I came out of the street so cautiously, I saw a football pitch across the street.  It wasn't someone being chased by a mob at all, or groups of football hooligans meeting in the street -- just a friendly game of 5-a-side.

I looked for distinctive landmarks -- thinking I would surely be able to make out one office building or another near where I wanted to be, but any tall buildings with lights that I headed towards turned out to be ugly concrete tower blocks built in the 1960s.  After much too long I decided that my walking wasn't actually getting me anywhere, I was starting to get cold and hungry -- and even if I had been on the train that very minute, it would be at least an hour before I got home.

I headed directly to the first Tube stop I came to, and found I had only walked one stop further from where I worked.

It was in the right direction, though, so I consider it a success.

5 comments:

  1. I tried that once, remember? Even with my blackberry, I still didn't go the most direct route and it took longer than expected. You should look it up on Google Maps, it's not too hard a route to find, once you know what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely piece of writing, painting such a vibrant picture of your meandering. My hometown of Winnipeg sounds much like that - it used to be 5 seperate cities that just expanded and grafted into one. It's so nice just to get lost in your own city and enjoy the sights and sounds of a crisp evening than to hurry home to the computer and tv, isn't it? The part about the football match made me laugh - I'm the kind of girl that hits the ground when a car backfires, so the nervousness struck a chord.
    There's something about this that just made me smile. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be fun going round in circles, even if from the outside it might appear unproductive. Your legs don't know that, only your mind and sometimes it's good to give your mind a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda: I do remember now -- if I had remembered at the time, I probably wouldn't have tried it! You have an excellent sense of direction, I -- on the other hand -- got lost in the basement of my own building on my first day, trying to find my way out.

    Jodes: Thank you, that's high praise indeed :) And you're right, it is nice to just be out and walking -- as soon as I get home I turn on the TV or turn on the computer and the world disappears. Do you have problems with shootings in Winnipeg, or are you just nervous generally?

    Elisabeth: While it might not have been productive exactly, in that I didn't actually get to where I was going, sometimes I enjoy these things for their own sake. And it gave me the opportunity to compose this post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love letting myself get lost like that. Not when I'm trying to find something, mind, but when I have the time and can just go explore. Anton, on the other hand, does not. But he's got a defunct sense of direction,so. Now that he has his GPS he's a bit more adventurous.

    ReplyDelete