Saturday 2 January 2010

Enough flavour to last all 52 weeks

I don't really do New Year's resolutions, I've decided.

Over the years, I have made lists in January of things that I want to achieve over the coming year ahead, but whether I stick to them seems completely arbitrary -- I don't think the date has any measurable effect.  Either I resolve to do things over the year I planned to do anyway, or pick a bunch of things I think I should do or would like to do, and maybe I do them and maybe I don't.

There's things I want to do this year.  I want to move into London.  I want to learn to rock climb so that I can do it without supervision.  I want to finally learn to snowboard properly.  I want to get into shape (a shape that isn't round).  But none of those things depend on being new year resolutions -- I will achieve them because I want to, screw January 1st.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy New Year's eve -- I know a lot of people hate the pressure to have a good time, but I think these people can put the pressure on themselves.  I saw in 2010 at a small fancy dress party with friends and had a lot of fun, but in previous years I've had a good time doing nothing more exciting than go to the cinema, play pool, or stay in and watch TV.

2009 was a rough year in many ways.  I lost my job to redundancy, and the girl spent several months in exile in Western Australia waiting for the paperwork for a new work visa for her company -- money was tight and the distance put a strain on our relationship.  In the end, we made the tough decision to give up our house.

But 2009 was also a year of adventure for me.  In May, I travelled to South America with a group of about 30 other people to trek the Inca Trail in Peru, raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support.  Through rough  terrain at high altitude and on bruised and blistered feet, I made it to Machu Picchu.  The trek also wasn't helped by injuries I sustained falling down the stairs at home.  But Peru was an amazing, vibrant country -- and the girl's welcome at Heathrow airport when I got back stands out as a high point of any year, not just 2009.

Not content with travelling to the Southern Hemisphere just once in a year, in August I flew out to Perth to join the girl in Australia for a few weeks.  Together we visited friends and family (her family, not mine -- though we tried to see some of mine while we were there) and saw the sights of Perth along with the south coast of Western Australia, Melbourne and the Yarra Valley.  We took boat tours to spot whales, ate fish and chips in Fremantle, dodged rain showers, went off road driving and admired the unique Australian wildlife and scenery.

The redundancy, too, had a silver lining when I got a new job in London -- getting a new job at all in this financial climate was an achievement, so getting one that will enable the girl and I move to a new flat in London in the next few months is even better.

2009 also saw new friends made -- the girl and I travelled to Oxford one rainy Sunday to meet Tully, a lovely Aussie blogger who was visiting these fair isles on business.  We met Tully again a few months later for brunch in Melbourne, where the magnificent Miss Milo put us up (and put up with us) for several days and played the perfect hostess.  If you don't know these two, take the opportunity to check out their own personal journeys.  Australia also gave us the chance to connect with friends we hadn't seen since they were in London.  Sometimes the world can seem so small to make and keep friends from all over the world, and at the same time insurmountably large when these people are also so far away.

I want 2010 to be a continued year of adventure, and I want to work more on becoming the person I want to be -- and I know that is an internal journey I have to make, an adventure of the spirit perhaps, something I won't find on a rock pile in the clouds of a South American mountain or in a monthly payslip.

5 comments:

  1. See, saying "I want to move to London" is a bit redundant as a resolution, since it kind of has to happen, unless we want to keep living here forever. London is the only option! And it will happen, of course, just a couple of months to go.

    2009 had some terrible lows, and some pretty great highs, as well- Peru must surely be one of them. Maybe 2010 will see you work on becoming the person you want to be- do you know what that is? If you do, that's awesome... I surely don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great meeting you guys too, hopefully we'll meet again soon.

    Glad you can see the silver lining in the job situation. It sounds like a tough, but rewarding year. I hope 2010 brings all the good stuff for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm just going to focus on Dr. Oz's recommended resolutions: more sex, more sleep and to never let myself feel hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh do you rock climb? i'm sure that will definitely help get your shape less round, as you say. this year i also want to get into it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda: You're right, only a couple of months to go -- and I'm not sure I do know what that person I want to be is, but I think I'm getting there slowly.

    Tully: Thanks very much! I know 2009 was a tough year for you, too, but I think 2010 holds great things -- hopefully for us both!

    Jamie: That's not a bad set of resolutions, but I'm thinking I can sometimes do with less sleep...

    Floreta: I've climbed a few times in the past, but only with supervision. Now I feel I am ready to move past the intro sessions and learn properly so I don't need supervision. Hopefully between climbing and swimming I can find that shape. Here's hoping you get into climbing this year too, among your other adventures.

    ReplyDelete