Tuesday 19 January 2010

Tongue that's sharp like a thumbtack

When I told my boss recently I couldn't work late on Thursday nights because I was starting a rock climbing course, she stared at me blankly.  She stared at me and asked flatly if I was joking.  I was puzzled and told her, no, I really couldn't work late on Thursday nights.  Apparently I joke about things so often and so seriously when I'm serious it's hard to know if I'm being sarcastic -- she said it was like me saying I had a needlepoint class or something.

I take exception to this.  I don't know if the impression people get from me is that I am as unlikely to go rock climbing as I am to go to a needlepoint class, or if she really can't tell what is meant to be serious.  But to me, the two bear no comparison.  but sure, I'm a  funny guy -- if you take funny to mean "strange".

Anyway, this isn't another post about my stupid work.  Instead it's a post about teh awesome that is rock climbing, and how I might be tempted to make Swiss Cottage leisure centre my spiritual home.

Sure, I've climbed before now.  I'm kind of mad at myself for not getting into climbing when I lived in Utah, when it was such an ideal place to be doing it -- along with not getting into all-terrain boarding, and never really learning to snowboard properly.  But I guess it wasn't the right time.  As I say, I have climbed before but only in a couple of relatively brief one-off sessions.  It was enough to know I liked it, obviously, or I wouldn't be doing the course -- however, now after only one official lesson so far I feel confident enough to rank it up there alongside swimming in greatness.  I think if I had the time to do one or the other on alternating days I would be in a lot better shape than I am.  But I think what climbing has in common with other activities I enjoy is the quiet moments of almost zen-calm.

The climbing wall, despite being housed in a leisure centre, was open to the elements -- which last week meant it was cold enough to see your breath in the air, and the ropes were both cold and wet.  The condition of the rope wasn't much of an issue when you were climbing, only when you were holding the rope while someone else climbed -- then you noticed how quickly your hands got cold and numb.  It was also cold enough for my toes to get numb.  I'm going to be better prepared this week, even as I write this I am searching online for the right kind of gloves -- though I suspect serious climbers probably laugh at the idea of wearing gloves on a wall.

In many ways, the wall not being entirely indoors was a good thing -- it felt like I was actually doing something, instead of being somewhere hot and loud and probably smelly.  The real test will be if I continue climbing on my own after my introduction course has finished, though that may involve trying to convince people I know that they want to take up climbing, too.

It's important to fill non-work time -- days and weeks -- with things we enjoy, it gives us something to look forward to and motivation to get out of bed.  It might still be Ah crap when the alarm goes off, but if you then remember there's a great band playing in the evening or whatever then it can get you through. Last year I spent a lot of time going to the gym in the early mornings to get fit for Peru, but that was more of a threat -- if I didn't go to the gym then I would never make it Machu Picchu.  It also has to be said; having someone pretty neat like the girl to come home to always helps, as well -- so I'm very lucky there.

That's the thinking, anyway -- but there's a tightrope between this and wishing your days away.  Let's see how it works.  Until then, though, share with me your thoughts and ideas -- either on the things that you fill in to your days and weeks, or how you manage to not wish away your days while still looking forward to something coming up.  Our operators are waiting for your call.

10 comments:

  1. I'm just relieved you didn't get into Mormonism or The Lawrence Welk Show while you were in Utah.

    I wish I had something honest and/or clever to say in response to your final paragraph but, sadly, I don't. Does assaulting a small, choice section of the world with wry, abusive humor count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rockclimbing.. Nice!! I have always wanted to try but I'm not even very good at walking so it probably isn't a good idea.

    hmm in my spare time I suppose I stalk people on facebook. just kidding.

    I usually keep busy doin comedy stuff with my troup, but that is kinda on hiatus so now i guess I need something else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, the annoyance of not being able to copy and paste into your comment box hits. But: naawwwwww.

    You should go base jumping or something. Or take up pottery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Apron: You say you don't have anything clever or funny to say, and then you go and say something clever and funny! And what about your performing?

    Carissa: I'm a horribly uncoordinated person, I walk into door frames a lot and will bang my head on the wall when I pick up the post. Thankfully this doesn't seem to stop me rock climbing though, so give it a try?

    Amanda: I think it's your browser, or your operatiny system -- I just tried it and I can can copy&paste just fine. But naawwwwww indeed! And you know, I think BASE jumping would be incredible -- I shall look into that/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to rock climb someday! Seems like so much fun. And I need to think more like you and plan more fun activities for my evenings so that I have something to look forward to rather than dreading another school or work day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pleasures are largely cerebral. I love to write, and fiddle on the computer with blogs etc, then write some. I love to spend time with my family, and my work, then write some and occasionally I vege out in front of a DVD. I also walk sometimes for exercise, but not as often as I should.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay rock climbing! In a parallel universe I love things like rock climbing and snow boarding and sky diving and outdoorsy physical things. But in this universe not so much. I like to read and take pictures of my cats. Woot woot. And watch Star Trek over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't understand the whole rock climbing thing, I prefer to shop for enjoyment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sam: It is a lot of fun! You should check it out, it's easy to try out as an intro session. I need to practice what I preach though and plan my days/weeks for these fun things.

    Elisabeth: Sounds like you have a pretty good balance to me, do you enjoy your work? That must be a big plus if you do.

    Jamie: I like to read and take pictures of my cats, too -- they don't take up my invitations of outdoorsy things.

    Steph: Funny, since I'd probably rather work than go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I once searched ICQ for someone who could introduce me to rock climbing. That turned out to be one of the best moves of my life (and the rock climbing was awesome, too).

    I left the city (and therefore climbing gyms) years ago. I now live at the foot of an awesome escarpment, which beckons ... and you've inspired me to look into gearing-up for some serious climbing in the great outdoors. It's been far too long. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete