Friday 2 April 2004

Getting along all right

Once again I spent a week working for a newspaper without pay.

You know what, though? It wasn't so bad. I hate the first day, but it was the morning that sucked really but it put me in a mood until about Wednesday. I'm like that.

Once you -- or, I, in this case -- get used to getting up in the mornings and wearing a suit and stuff you come to appreciate that the job isn't all that bad. It's not the best job in the world, and for the most part, yeah, it does feel like work. But like my profile says -- for now, this is who I am and this is what I do.

Working for a daily paper is a little more fast paced than a weekly, but not massively so -- you just tend to finish things by the end of the day. I didn't think I'd ever say it, but I miss going out on my district and finding news -- it isn't the same working with a desk, a phone and a computer. Not that I ever found much good in my district, but that isn't the point.

I know I can do this. Once or twice I was told by staff that my writing was good, and nothing was ever given back to me with instructions to change it completely -- like it was last summer. I may not get the best grades, I might not be sure I can pass the course, but I can do the job. And it looks like with a little bit of luck I probably will do the job.

There's little else to say. I've not seen San in a week, since I've been here and she's been in Leicester, but I'll see her tomorrow in London like old times.

Other than that, I'm tired and I'm moody -- which I've got to snap out of soon -- but I'm getting along alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment