Thursday 23 February 2006

Whiskey bottle and a .45

I've renamed my blog. I decided today that this blog needs a spring clean to try and reflect better the changes in my life. I said before that the profile with its solipsist "unless someone is watching, you don't exist" sentiment isn't exactly what I feel any more. I like the way it's written though, and I guess so long as I'm keeping a blog (or an interent diary) it must ring true on some level.

But yes, the wholly depressing "This is all" wasn't doing it for me any more. For a start, I do adore the Pablo Neruda poem -- but the poem is incredibly sad, and not a good starting point. Taken out of context it also seems to be putting me down -- as if I'm saying "this isn't much", or "I'm not much". And that's not the way it should be. Instead, it is now called "whiskey bottle and a .45", after a line from the Gomez song "Bubblegum years". Gomez need a whole update to themself to really do them justice -- from their bluesy sound and the quirky songs, to songs full of heartache. Their bluesy sound might seem depressing, but the music is original, inspiring and uplifting -- and you can't wallow in your self pity with it.

I love Gomez, and I love the song the line is taken from -- even though it might not be a huge improvement as far as moods go.

You can read a whole bunch into it, I think it's a very visual title -- unlike what it is replacing. It reminds me of Raymond Chandler novels with Phillip Marlowe, which in turn inspire my own occasional fictional nihilist entries -- involving guns and whiskey. I think it's a much more interesting title all the same.

Next up I need to change the profile and the synopsis, as soon as I work out what they are going to say...

No comments:

Post a Comment