Sunday 9 July 2006

A human being that was given to fly

I dreamed last night (probably more like 10 this morning, but still) that I could fly. Inspired by China Blue's mention of her own desire to fly -- which probably prompted my whole dream -- I had to record it here.

Remembering the dream is like changing the tv channel onto a film that's already halfway through; I don't recall how it started or the background details that would be needed to make sense. The important was that somehow with the aid of a run up and a sort of leather strap that worked as a seat, I could fly. I was flying over fields and woodland, and would go low enough to talk to people, then flying miles high above the trees.

Unfortunately -- and I think this might say something about my state of mind -- there was sometimes a sense of unease, a lack of understanding of how it was this leather strap enabled me to fly (although I wasn't surprised at all, neither were anyone I encountered, even if they might have been slightly jealous). Because I didn't understand how it worked, I would get worried that it could fail. The higher I'd go, the more danger I'd realise I was in -- soaring high over a forest it struck me suddenly I was doomed if I suddenly lost it.

I don't know why then I didn't just land, but instead I flew out over the ocean -- I think coming down might have been a problem, maybe the speed I was travelling, too -- but the ocean was a steely grey-blue. Why would it have been somehow better to drop into the ocean, miles from shore? I don't know, but that's what I reasoned -- if I should fall, I wouldn't be killed.

As ever, a dream of flying just makes me want to return to sleep. I want back that feeling of flying, but of course -- I want it back with control. Sometimes I like to imagine where I'd go, if I could fly. Supposing it was only the equivalent speed of a regular jog, so travelling great distances would be out of the question. I scope out buildings, great cathedrals or rooftops, imagine sitting on top, unnoticed.

Last night with San we took the lift to the top floor of her flats, so I could look out over the city. We haven't been up there since the New Year's Eve when we watched fireworks, instead last night we just stood in the dark while I made out London landmarks, pointed out bedrooms lit by televisions, or watched people walking or driving far below. I imagine that is a bit like flying, being unnoticed and so quiet above all the houses.

4 comments:

  1. That's interesting... I'm looking at that in context of your previous post. Flying is generally a positive thing in dreams. Things are looking to be taking off, work wise (congratulations) but this will bring its own worries - the case with any change at work or step upwards. You feel a little uneasy, but as you say, if you fall at any point, that won't be the end.

    You should try lucid dreaming - being aware, in your dream, that you are dreaming, and then attempting to fly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. China: Thanks for your insight, I hadn't thought of it that way...

    As far as lucid dreaming goes, I've wanted to get into it in the past but have never been able to "wake up" in the dream and gain control. But I'm not so sure it's a great idea, I'm not sure I am strong enough mentally to handle it. Blurring the lines between reality and fiction might not be such a great idea for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a point there - you're right there, in your subconscious. It's quite a scary place to be, because you're facing what really goes on in your head.

    When you're ready, though, give it a try - the moment you think 'hey, I'm dreaming' is when you can start to do it. And you know, it does feel quite good.

    Sorry to go a bit 'Chin-Stroking Corner' on you... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. China: Feel free to stroke your chin round this way any time.

    ReplyDelete