Saturday 8 July 2006

Looking forwards

Yesterday's post was about all I am going to say to mark 7/7 -- I could write pages and pages of contradictory and rambling thoughts, but I'd prefer not to. I marked midday with two minutes of reflection, and a silent prayer for peace, love and understanding. But life goes on, life has to go on, and I'm not going to dwell on something so sad and horrible as that day.

Instead, things at work are looking up. My colleague George is leaving for greener pastures, after several months of paid work experience. Early on into my initial contract I mused on what I would say if they offered me a similar contract to his; paid work experience but paid only at £100 a week. Since my travel costs me about £70 to £85 a week, depending on the travelcard, I had thought about how I might have to turn it down because it was impractical. But I quickly learned that without this experience I am not going to get a job, and since I have been willing to work for only my travel costs, it might be wiser to accept it.

George is leaving, and I have been offered his job. It's a promotion of sorts for me -- different accounts, slightly more money, slightly more responsibility, and a three-month contract. That means no more asking to renew my contract and no uncertainty on if I will still have a job one month to the next. And at the end of it I will have six months experience, good enough for an entry-level job. So it's just three more months of impoverished living, with any luck.

When I started in PR earlier this year I had hoped to mark July 4 with starting a real job, it could be my own "independence day", I thought. Perhaps that target was a little unrealistic, but it's a step in the right direction.

After work yesterday I invited San to meet me, then took her to the bar I had met Jade in all those weeks ago. A warm Friday evening and happy hour was just ending, so we found a space to stand at the bar and enjoyed the atmosphere and the feeling like being in another country. We drank and chatted for hours and caught up and she told me about her time in Argentina. I'm going to make the place my new favourite bar, and will just have to hope I don't run into Jade in there...

6 comments:

  1. proper jobs are overrated.

    you're rockin' regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, babe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo jay this is so great! congrats! :D

    I know what a bugger it is having to run through rings in order to get what you want. We don't get paid for teaching rounds over here but and by the end of my course I'd done about 24 weeks of them + my weekend job. It was a killer, but worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Job! With pay! This is cause for celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne: I think you're right -- about proper jobs -- I'd rather live a simple life doing conservation work in Mexico with sea turtles than be commuting every day into the city for a proper job. But no prizes for guessing which I will continue to do...

    N: Thanks :)

    M: Easy with the enthusiasm! It's still just work experience, and only a
    slight improvement, but it is a step in the right direction. I can only wish I had your motivation and determination -- but I can strive to follow your example :)

    Oh, and thanks x

    Db: It's not *quite* job with pay -- that's probably another 3 months away -- but a step in the right direction just the same. We can still celebrate though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, way to go, Jay! It may not be a well-paying job, but really, in certain areas money isn't what you need to think of when you start out. I'm glad for you. :)

    ReplyDelete