Thursday 5 October 2006

Optimist

"Optimistic man, 25, seeks a blonde 20 year old double-jointed super model, who owns her own brewery, and has an open-minded twin sister."


It seemed like it would be a good way to start a personals ad. I'd read it in some forwarded joke about supposedly "true" small ads published in an Irish newspaper, and it amused me. I thought it would be an almost ironic take on the other personal ads on the site, and would attract attention. Maybe even arouse curiosity.

I was surprised when in less than a day I already had a response:
Possibly the funniest ad i've ever read! I'm from East London too - am blonde but other then that i am not double jointed, don't have a twin, etc.
You got a pic?


So far, off to a good start. Rather than striving for that elusive balance between upbeat and confident, yet down to earth and normal I'd sneak around the side with humour. I responded naturally enough, telling her how I enjoyed music, comedy, candelit dinners, long romantic walks on the beach and that I had no idea what to write in these situations. Again, she liked the humour. We shared a passion for music, and she mentioned having been snowboarding in Banff -- but wasn't much good.

It all sounded good. I sent her pictures, and she commented she would reciprocate later. I thought it a little odd that she was mentioning sending pictures before she had divulged her name, but no matter.

A few days on, it's all gone silent and now it seems it may be significant that she didn't comment on the pictures I sent her. Like maybe she replied before she looked at them. It's easy to read too much into it, like I always do -- maybe I wasn't interesting enough, maybe I talked too much, maybe being "funny" is one thing but when you see the pictures you realise why I am trying to meet people online?

Or it could mean nothing. It could be just that I am trying to meet or form some kind of halfway meaningful relationship with someone I know nothing about and who replies to personal ads she sees on the internet.

But some feedback here, maybe, and honestly -- what is it that really matters?

9 comments:

  1. I don't know the answer, but I can vouch for the fact that it wasn't your pictures that sent her away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Internet dating is like mining for diamonds.

    I guess you just have to be optimistic and keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or she could've had some calamity arise in her life, making it impractical to reply at this time.It's not your pics (unless you sent her the naked one, then you're on your own, buddy. ;P). You're a cutie! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. God, I don't know. I have to agree with Steph that internet dating is like mining for diamonds though. Maybe she just lost interest. Maybe life got busy. Maybe she met someone down at the pub. Maybe she's too nervous to send her pic. Maybe she was doing an insane blog entry that has something to do with getting responses from males on an online dating service (who would do such a thing?). You could think up a million truths and none of them could be true. I don't know hon, but you're a pretty bloody awesome bloke (for an Englishman hahahaha).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yen: If it's not my picture, I think that suggests it could just "me" generally... Which is both better and worse.

    Steph: Is it like mining for diamonds because it involves exploitation, death and corruption on a worldwide scale and yet it's still in demand?

    Aurore: Those naked pictures were your birthday present! Don't you like them? And you could be right, maybe there has been a calamity and worst of all she can't get online.

    Mez: Fuck, you're a real sweeto, mate! But I don't know about the "insane blog entry" thing, I can't think of anyone evil enough to do such a thing as that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWW, Internet dating is a tough one. I did it once as in for one month, 3 dates and WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN. The 3 men all looked different, and acted different than on line. The attraction just wasn't there for (for me anyway).

    I have to say we are all attracted to a specific type of person. I would say maybe you just werent her type physically (that happens its how we are programed), it has nothing to do with you. And she wasn't woman enough to tell you it's nice to meet you but no thank you, so by not saying that it leaves you to wonder.

    I firmly believe there is someone out there for everyone. Where I can't say, but there is. Wipe yourself off, stand up tall, say Fuck it! And continue on...

    Besides... she was probably a moody bitch anyway and why in the world would you want to date that! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah Jay... you and me need to go out for a few beers, and I'll explain all about the perils of Internet dating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fame: Always nice to see a new face around here -- thanks for your insights, you made me laugh and talk a lot of sense.
    WDKY: My friend, you don't know the half it.

    ReplyDelete