Monday 26 February 2007

Musical Monday (#15)

Musical Monday I don't remember how I first heard this song -- if I read the lyrics first or read some reference to it. I don't recall what I was feeling when I first played it or even and where it was. It feels like one of those songs I've just always known.

I think growing up my parents were Springsteen fans, but all I ever remember hearing them play was "Born in the USA". Maybe that's why I was never particularly taken with his work, but I've developed a latter appreciation for some of his work. It's funny how sometimes as we get older we grow to like the songs we heard when we were kids, I've also a great fondness for Paul Simon's Graceland album. But I can't imagine my parents ever listening to Nebraska -- either the album, or this song.

The song tells a nasty, brutal and short story -- about a killing spree. If it's a true story, I've never looked into, but from the details I don't think it would qualify for a "serial killer sunday" post.

It's a sad song, with an almost Dylan-esque sound to it -- including mournful harmonica and off-key vocals. The remarkable thing, to me, about the song is it seems more sad from the perspective of the killer than of the victims.

The narrator and killer seems unrepentant ("I cant say that Im sorry for the things that we done") and offers no explanations ("They wanted to know why I did what I did/ Well sir I guess there's just a meanness in this world"), but there's a certain resignation that seems so sad.

The song ends with the narrator declared "unfit to live" and "into that great void my soul'd/Be hurled" the waste of his own life seems as regrettable as the "ten innocent people" that he and his girl kill, for no reason.

It's interesting the song offers no perspective from the girl, why does she go with him, across the badlands of Wyoming? Does she find it fun, like he does? We're never told, just that his final wish is to have his "pretty baby" on his lap.

The song is haunting -- and maybe not exactly going to be anyone's most played or favourite song -- but it would be a shame if the songs we liked were never troublesome, uncomfortable or confronting.

Nebraska-Nebraska.mp3


28/02 Update: I realise the flash player isn't working. Please stay tuned for more posts about songs you can't hear, or until I fix this one.
04/03 Update: After about a week with no success, it suddenly occurs to me I can just link to where the file is uploaded and play it from there instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment