Wednesday 14 February 2007

Valentines referrals

As is often the case, I've been analysing by visitor stats -- and I'm faintly amused at what I see as 'seasonal' posts. It's Valentine's -- for better or worse -- and I've seen an exponential increase in the number of people finding my blog after they googled a certain heartbreaking turn of phrase from Damien Rice: It's the wrong kind of place to be thinking of you". I can empathise with the lonely, the dumped, the heartbroken -- those trying not to think of that one person.

Hot on its heels is the popularity of self-loathing, in the form of a line from a Vines song: "She never loved me, why should anyone" is always good for a few hits (heartbreak never goes out of fashion), but it has seen a recent surge of interest.

Hits for people searching for Greg Lake songs about snow, Christmas, peace and earth have unsurprisingly dwindled -- that they are there at all might have something to do with the recent snow across Britain.

The search term I like most, that I think should be more common, is the succinctly put "like cock hate men". I'm sure there are many girls out there who can identify with the feeling expressed by this searcher from Tampa, Florida -- at least occasionally.

I think the most romantic search phrase of all time to lead to my diary is this one from Connecticut, USA: "lose virginity with someone you have no affinity". Because it rhymes, I'm inclined to think it might be a song lyric -- or maybe it's from an amateur love poem, for this special day.

It's good to know that googling the phrase "destined to die alone in a room heavy with the tang of cat wee" leads to my blog. It could be a glimpse of my future, but it is actually from a half-forgotten post a year ago.

But perhaps the key to my own heart lies somewhere in the phrase "snowboard sonnets". Yes, any ladies out there whose interests include board sports and poetry -- or even better, sonnets about board sports -- please form an orderly queue.

13 comments:

  1. man, I never get romantic search phrases. But I did get one about hot nuns once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..."destined to die alone in a room heavy with the tang of cat wee"??

    Who ARE these people who come up with these bizarre search phrases?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be at least preferential to to die alone in a room heavy with the tang of cat wee than to do so in company. That would be degrading in every sense of the word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish people could see more beauty in life than Valentines' consummeristic crap! Throughout all the depressive states,loneliness and sadness,there is a whole world of beauty and good feelings yet to be disovered - it's only a matter of opening the door of our comfort zones and prejudice! (guess I am feeling good today!!!;-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. In as much as I find this searches really quite "sad",I think sometimes it is a good thing to realise that when we feel pathetic we are not alone in that!!!I just wish people could see the beauty of life beyond conformism and consummeristic celebrations. Life can be rather wonderful beyond self-pity and auto-commiseration!

    PS:it looks like as if someone has spent an aweful lot of time on google this week...(",)

    ReplyDelete
  6. M: Which was the most romantic of those searches? I bet it was "like cock hate men" wasn't it!
    Madame Boffin: It would be a whole lot funnier if it was a completely random search, but the phrase is used by Meish.org -- and I used it on a valentine last year.
    Baron: That is one to ponder, is it better to die alone or with company in a room smelling of cat wee...
    Wee Italian Chick: Your second comment reminds me of PostSecret -- however heart-breaking the secrets posted there may be, they also show us we aren't alone. Or maybe just that we aren't original ;)
    And you didn't even comment on the hockey this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jay,this is so embarrassing,I posted the first comment and it looked like as if it hadn't taken it - so I got writing again along the same lines producing a totally different comment -d'oh! Yeah,sorry about the hockey,have had a busy couple of days . It's coming though - watch this space! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been looking for one of those "like cock, hate men" girls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't check my searches anymore, they're way too weird.
    Yours are pretty cool though. I must attract a more INSANE type of googler.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dr Kenneth: I think the "hate men" part might trip you up with those girls...
    Steph: Since your blog involves things like kissing roos and making old ladies look they wet themselves, I can imagine your google referrals might well be a little on the quirky side...

    ReplyDelete
  11. even deranged people can be romantic, Jay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Snowboard sonnets...somehow that's kind of poetic all on its own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mez: Are you giving me permission to be?
    Chosha: I think there is a kind of poetic zen to board sports...

    ReplyDelete