Wednesday 25 July 2007

Art goes up for auction

I decided to see if it would be possible to sell my art on ebay. I figured from the feedback I get from you kids here it should be fairly popular. A little under a week ago, I started the auction with bidding at £1 for one of my favourite pictures printed on an A3 canvas. This will cost me somewhere in the region of £50 to produce, but I don't have to actually get it made until the auction ends -- and I've listed a turnaround time of 10 days, which should be ample.
I also set up the auction so that 10% of the final selling price would be donated to Cancer research.

Sounds reasonable, right? I'm starting bidding ridiculously low for an awesome looking picture on canvas, and even donating money to charity. In an effort to help cross-promote it I added an ebay auction application to my facebook, so I can leave comments on my auction reminding people it's there and encouraging them to bid.

I had no idea just how popular it would be! And by popular I mean completely ignored. Bidding is yet to get as far as one single bid for £1. I apparently have one person "watching", who might be planning a last-minute bid of a quid, but I think it's unlikely. Maybe people don't go to ebay when they want something like this, I don't know. Sure, I could use all of the premium promotional features ebay offers -- but is it worth spending £10 on some extra features when I don't know if bidding will make it into double figures? I figure at this rate I'd be better off ending the auction early and abandoning that idea than letting it possibly sell for a couple of quid.


San Francisco

No comments:

Post a Comment