Thursday 19 July 2007

Work related stuff

I didn't get the Brighton job. I never found out exactly why, I just got a letter saying I was unsuccessful and they'd keep my CV on file, etc. I'd begun to wonder towards the end of last week what was happening, and had called them on the Thursday. The director hadn't been able to take my call, but despite leaving my name and number he didn't return my call. I emailed him as well, but got no response. By yesterday, when the letter arrived, I had given up hope. I knew what the letter would say without having to even open it -- they don't send you a letter to ask "when can you start?".

The director had been very warm and encouraging when we'd met, so I can only assume I didn't get it because I didn't already live in Brighton. I've had two interviews since then, but didn't get past the first interview with either.
This continues my unbroken record of never having got a job I interviewed for.

I had my last interview Thursday last week, for a major agency over in Canary Wharf. The company were very impressive, and from the research I'd done I liked what I had seen. I felt I answered their questions well and asked them relevant questions in return.

All I was told was that I wasn't the right fit for their "team". I was never told what clients I would be working on, so I can only assume there was a difference when I talked about the kind of clients I have worked on or would like to work on.
I'm currently working way the hell out in Chelsea -- I have to get up at 6 every morning, just to make it to the office for 9 -- but still don't get home until 7.30.
The work isn't bad though. It's not somewhere I'd want to stay permanently, perhaps, but it's earning a living.

If anyone is wondering about other interviews I have fairly recently mentioned; I didn't get the job with the Leukaemia charity, but didn't hear why (tho I can probably guess), there was the agency job where I was specifically told I had to look "cool" -- which I didn't get because I didn't have enough experience for the role.

Speaking of earning a living, as of today I am still waiting to be paid from my last job. I was promised last week I would have the money in my account by Monday. Monday morning arrived, but my money didn't. I was again told the money would be in my account that day. Tuesday morning arrived, and still no money. I was beginning to get quite annoyed and was asking to just speak to accounts so they could tell me why I hadn't been paid, when my Dad called to tell me I had a letter from the company. The letter was receipt for a money transfer, that the transfer had been put in place on Thursday -- which to their credit, one would rightly expect the money to be in my account by Monday.

As I was looking through the jobs in one of the national papers yesterday, I saw an ad for moving abroad and learning a trade. I figured I could do that -- Canada, New Zealand, Australia; any one of them would do nicely. As for learning a trade, you never know -- I might still be able to freelance as a PR at the same time. Or maybe it would pay the bills enough for me to make more of my art?
I mentioned the ad to Jon -- since he needs a new job, and it would be a good way to go about it. Okay, maybe a better way of getting a new job would just be to look properly for a new job rather than looking at moving halfway across the world to do something you have no skills or training in. But the prospect of skipping the country might help inspire him.

No comments:

Post a Comment