Friday 20 July 2007

Stop making the eyes at me, I'll stop making the eyes at you

It was weird. This evening I had an email from some girl, replying to a personals ad that I hadn't realised was still available to view. I guess I forgot about it after a however long with zero response and so didn't bother to delete it. This girl sent me a short message, light on details, but said she was curious. It was a nice enough message, so I replied. Not that I get so many messages that I choose which to reply to, but whatever. In her message she also linked to page on blogspot -- I call it a page rather than an actual blog, since there is only the one page.

It was sort of like a dating profile, I guess -- rather than an ad in and of itself. The usual, some details, a picture. I liked the picture, she had pretty eyes and it seemed genuine -- not like some cropped MySpace picture or something deliberately posed.

At the bottom of her page was some note about if you wanted to see more pictures or her profile to join some dating site or other she was linking to. I moused-over it and it didn't suggest it was anything...dirty. So I didn't think much of it. It was only later when I was telling Diane about it, that I mentioned I hoped she was for real. What, and not secretly a fat, old man? More like...not someone who is spamming ads to get people to sign up to some dating site. So I clicked the link given on the blog page, to see where it lead.

I was disappointed. I've been to this site before -- notoriously it being the place where I signed up for some trial or whatever and found myself with some executive gold membership for hundreds of dollars. I got them to refund my money and downgrade the account in the end, but I bet that's what this... person is there to do. Encourage people to sign up, they don't notice the small print, and a lot of money is made.

So who the girl in the picture with the pretty eyes is, I don't know, but I doubt I will be hearing any more from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment