Thursday 1 May 2008

Olfactory

I think the sense of smell is the most underrated, out of all the senses. Many people will talk with horror about what life would be like if they couldn't hear, people will imagine a nightmarish existence without being able to see, a life without being able to taste would be a life barely lived at all -- but smell is something we don't always rate that highly.

I have a pretty lousy sense of smell. My hearing isn't great for that matter, and while we're on the subject my eyesight leaves something to be desired... but I sometimes wonder if I might be suffering some kind of permanent allergy, affecting my sense of smell. Mostly because other people tend to notice smells before I do.

I worry on occasion that I might wear too much aftershave. Going out on a Friday night, I might be crammed in the backseat of a car -- and someone, usually Austin or his fiancée -- will remark that I smell good, or perhaps I'll be buying some chewing gum in a shop on a Sunday morning, and the girl on the checkout will ask me if I'm wearing Issey Miyake. I usually get embarrassed at that point, both from the attention and the idea that I must be wearing too much if someone else can not only pick up on a scent but be able to identify it. I'll generally still be unable to smell it much at all.

Despite not having the most wondrous of abilities in that department, I make strong associations with smells. When I was in New York city, I decided it was a city of smells and that one would be able to navigate the city without the need for sight, relying on scent alone. There was the corner that always smelled of drains, or the man selling chestnuts, or any number of other olfactory landmarks. After a while it became a kind of shorthand; go down the street, past this electronics store, then turn left on the corner when you can smell drains.

One of my favourite smells is Sunday night hockey. You walk in through the doors, and are immediately assaulted with a variety of smells -- the slightly sweaty, musty smell of the skates (and probably the players), the various canteen food stuffs, the chemical smell of the ice, and general people smells. I feel happy almost immediately when I smell it all, as it reminds me of good times. Lots of lousy games with Chelmsford being unable to play as a team, but generally good times.

Another smell I love is swimming pools. I love to swim. I find it tremendously relaxing, while at the same time requiring enough exertion to tire me out and release those feel-good endorphins. I love the smell of the chlorine on my skin, that no matter how much you scrub in the shower at the pool afterwards you never quite get rid of. There was a time when I was living in Derby where I was swimming every day -- I'd get up, not bother to shower, just throw on some jeans and a baggy hoody, then head to the pool for an hour of laps. I've taken now to enjoying swimming on my own on a Friday night more than going to the pub with my friends. I went to the pool tonight, and I felt my heart speed up a little with excitement when I smelled the warm air and the chlorine of the pool.

Unfortunately, they're a bunch of bastards and I found out that my timetable was out of date -- Thursday nights is now "staff training", so I didn't get my fix.

Smells can be bittersweet, too -- there's been so many times when I've shared a bed with a girl for a few days, but after she'd gone had to wash my sheets immediately, as I couldn't stand to have the smell but not the person.

But there are a hundred smells I love, and I don't even include fresh cut grass or baking bread. I love the smell of Mexican food (conversely, I strongly dislike the smell of Indian food, even if there are probably a lot of dishes I expect I might like), I love the smell of surf wax -- how it lingers on your hands, from spending so long rubbing slow circles of wax on a board. I love the salty smell of 'the sea', which you get here with the wind in the right direction and the tide is out on the river, or sometimes when it rains and the stones on my drive smell like a pebble beach somewhere. And though it might sound a little unhygenic, I like the smell of my clothes when they have lost the immediate "just washed" smell from the machine.
Not unclean, but not not sterile either.

8 comments:

  1. Not only is smell one of the most underrated of senses, it's been shown to be the sense that invokes the most memories- so if you were to smell chestnuts now, you might be more likely to remember NY, but just seeing them might not have the same effect.

    My Pop lost his sense of smell after a bout of pneumonia when I was 8, along with it went his sense of taste. He got along okay, but he always ate food with really strong tastes, like raw onions, because it was the only thing he could actually taste.

    Personally, I think touch is pretty underrated- I don't think anyone realises how much they rely on touch until it's gone, and they hurt themselves all the time. Then again, loss of touch is pretty uncommon compared to other senses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smell is the reason I can no longer bear to wear the perfume EB gave me at Christmas, but it's the reason I used to plead with him to give me one of his smelly t-shirts so I could cuddle it at night, nose to pit. Can't think why he tought I was a weirdo...

    Yes, that sense is underrated, but it's incredibly powerful and generally people shy away from acknowledging that they, too, are animals with powerful senses and instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably should have emphasised something about how Pop's experience is related, because smell is so closely tied to taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i found you through Blonde as a Brunette.

    smells can indeed dictate mood. for example, the smell of Curve cologne makes me completely nauseated because it reminds me of 1. an overly eager and equally careless boyfriend during a hot-steamy-WHOA!-what-the-heck-do-you-think-you're-doing experience and 2. a mean cop who gave me a ticket. seems like whenever i smell that stuff, i need to immediately cover my ass and run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ex, Colin, used to wear a certain cologne all the time. I loved it, mostly because I loved him. When Ryan stopped by his house on the way to see me one day, she ruffled his hair as she left. When I greeted her in my driveway she waved from a distance of about two yards and I said, "You've seen Colin."

    Five years later I still get strong feeling with that smell. I'm instantly attracted to guys who wear the same scent. When I smell it in a building I always turn and look for Colin.

    The new intern where I work smells good, too. It takes actual willpower not to pin him down and kiss him senseless.

    Smell is amazing. Smell is memory, and emotion, and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often think I would be happier without smell for this exact reason - smell is so important to so many things. The smell of someone tables away eating fish can put me off my meal, I can't wear clothes that smell too much like a dryer, I will avoid visiting people in their rooms because the rooms have a particular odor (not associated with the person, just where it is in the building).

    But then I remember how the smell of hamantaschen puts me in a great mood, or slightly moist, salty smelling air will make me think of summers in Greece, and how comforting it is to smell pizza dough in my room days after I made it.

    If I had to choose, I would keep either sight or hearing over smell, but man... I'd miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on the smell of the swimming pool. The smell that calms me right down is the smell of fresh coffee - I always associate coffee with just sitting down and relaxing. Also freshly washed clothing or bed sheets. It just reminds me of my childhood and playing under the hill hoist while the washing dried on the line.

    Beautifully written Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda: You're right, touch too is underrated -- while I've never heard of a complete loss of touch without paralysis, it only takes you to lose the feeling in a fingertip and you suddenly feel disorientated.

    China Blue: I can't imagine why he thought you were a weirdo either, unless perhaps you told him what colour his shirt tasted? I think you are in a pretty unique position to appreciate the senses and their intermingling.

    Crystal: It's ok, I won't hold it against you ;) And thanks for the example, I can only imagine how painful it must be to smell that cologne now!

    Dateless Raine: Sounds like a lucky intern if you ask me -- now whether he's lucky because you want to pin him down, or because you don't do it, I'll leave you to decide. And I am in awe of the strength of your senses...

    Diane: You would rather to never have smelled at all, than to have smelled and lost? I think personally I'd sacrifice sight for smell, but not without a fight.

    Mez: "Beautifully written" is high praise indeed coming from you. And I think we need to put the smell of fresh coffee in smelling salts for you to take to work with you...or maybe just a pocket full of beans

    ReplyDelete