Tuesday 27 May 2008

Plants

With a lack of anything to do on a Bank Holiday Monday when it was pouring torrentially with rain, I went to the garden centre.

I didn't really know what I wanted. I wanted something leafy and green for my room, to try and circulate the air a bit or some such thing. My snake plant, Frank, lives mostly in the conservatory these days as I think he likes the light down there.

I never did find what I was looking for, since I didn't know what it was. Instead, I bought a sunflower-growing-pot. It's a bright yellow plant pot, and comes complete with some dried compost and a small packet of seeds. I grew several big sunflowers with this same kit last year, so I bought another one.

I also bought a packet of sunflower seeds to give to my colleague Matt. I was talking to him last week about growing sunflowers and he said his wife likes sunflowers. I thought he might like to involve his little boy with growing them, too. It seemed right to buy something small for him, since when Annette took a week off work a couple of weeks back as she had just got two new kittens, I bought her some cat treats for them.

I eventually left the garden centre, with a grow your own chilli plant. The chilli plant was reduced to half price. The girl on the checkout didn't seem to notice this, so I was sure to point out on the receipt when I paid full price. A debate followed where we discussed whether the sticker said "3.99" or "6.99". It looked nothing like a 6.

I live a life of high excitement.

6 comments:

  1. second Amanda's comment.

    in a nice way, you understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should get a spider plant! They are green, leafy, and grow like ... I was going to say a Tijuana crack whore, but that isn't quite right. Grow like the dickens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you should definitely get a spider plant! My mom took one shoot from my gram a few years ago, and now her living room is covered with them. I tried to do the same thing, but Annabelle kept tearing it by its roots. She loves plants to death, that cat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Green thumb - is that a super power? The chilli plant sounds rather daring. Good luck with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am good at killing anything that grows from soil...and in water too apparently. I always despair when a parent gives me a pot plant as a gesture of kindness for teaching their child. Yet another plant lost to unintentionally murderous hands. oh well.

    ReplyDelete